VOGONS

First post, by martin_boro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently bought a Intel OR840 motherboard from an IBM Intellistation M type 6889 workstation, however, I am having some issues with the built-in Security system (probably).
Right after POST splash screen, I get a message, that the keyboard is locked, followed by Intel boot agent and followed again by unlocking the keyboard.

The thing is, that the keyboard does not work. Not PS2, not USB, nothing.
I can't even get to the Setup. I tried erasing it, but that didn't help either.

I do have a EEPROM programmer, but the flash chip is soldered on the board and I can't solder it back.
Any ideas?

Reply 2 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is this the board?

IBM INTELLISTATION M Pro Type 6889.jpg
Filename
IBM INTELLISTATION M Pro Type 6889.jpg
File size
305.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's probably a power-on password been set - normally the keyboard does actually work but you're required to type it in blind and you'll only get a few goes before you need to reboot and start again.

There's normally a reset jumper on the board (or in your case a toggle on a switch block circled in red on the pic) - see if any of these links help

Board Layout - https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/system-boar … m-pro-type-6889

Switch Block Settings - https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/system-boar … m-pro-type-6889

Reply 3 of 3, by martin_boro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I am dumb.
The ports were switched...

I guess what threw me off, was that even the USB keyboard did not work, or that they were not labeled.

Aaanyways, on a related note, is it possible to flash an original Intel BIOS?
I assume I will have to do some soldering though, since I noticed that the pins for the front panel were not populated on the IBM version of the board.

@PC Hoarder Patrol
It is an OEM version of the Intel OR840 motherboard.
Although Intellistation type is weirdly the same.