VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have successfully used 3.5" bay CF-to-IDE drives to replace mechanical hard drives, and I have also successfully used an SD-to-CF adapter in said drives. The system is based around an Asus P2B, with the last bios ever released which allows for drives up to 128GB.

Now I am playing with Gateway Tabor III motherboards. These motherboards will successfully read true CF cards in the drive (I have only x2 4GB cards, but for some reason, they will not see SD-to-CF w/ANY size SD card )tried from 2gb SD cards on up.)

What could be causing this? I have considered buying SD-to-IDE drives and removing the CF adapter from the equation. However, I'm concerned over whether or not it would work, because I don't know why the SD card set up is working in one 440BX board, but not the other. I have a Rosewill RC-200 on the way (should be here in three days,) and I am hoping that it resolves the issue, though I still want to eliminate CF cards, if possible. Each SD card is set up with a different OS or with an OS with different drivers installed, and they will be labeled and used like cartridges. Using CF adapters reminds me of the original CDROM drives with the caddies, and that is the only thing that makes using these adapters tolerable.

Another idea is buying an mSATA drive. I think that the Tabor boards, depending on BIOS revision, have a limit of up to 27GB, and research in the final revision reveals conflicting information - a possible 64GB limit, maybe more, or the existence of a bug which allows only 32GB to be seen. I found a 20GB mSATA and an enclosure that makes it into a 2.5" SATA drive, and I could use a SATA-to-IDE adapter. This would be for the recreated 1999 Gateway (with upgrades,) not the main Gateway with the ATA133 card.

Has anyone had success with large drives on a Tabor III? Has anyone used an SD-to-IDE adapter/drive? What is the best and cheapest course of action to get the largest drives possible on a Tabor III board? I currently have two of them, I can get about 2-4 more of them, and I have 1 Tabor II and can get two more Tabor II boards (all with 20-21" CRT monitors, complete PC with Gateway cases, and Gateway keyboards - for SUPER cheap.)

Thanks!
Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07L68VFSS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In my SS7 board, acorp 5ali61 and also tried in a LGA 775 board with success. Never had any problems. I like to switch cards with different OS.

Regarding the converter thing I guess it's not the case of the more the merrier. :-p

Reply 2 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-12, 17:11:
I have this […]
Show full quote

I have this

https://www.amazon.se/dp/B07L68VFSS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

In my SS7 board, acorp 5ali61 and also tried in a LGA 775 board with success. Never had any problems. I like to switch cards with different OS.

Regarding the converter thing I guess it's not the case of the more the merrier. :-p

Thank you. I think I will buy one, as I also like to collect components. With that thinking, I have nothing to lose except for a few bucks, hehe! I like the one you have for the dual power options. I always have to add molex splitters for all of the devices that use floppy-style mini-molex plugs. I hope that with this device and the Rosewill ATA133 card, I can get my 128GB cards working on these Gateways.

Reply 3 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Downside as I see it is that I could not find a ready made 3.5" drive bay thing for it as I wantee to access it externally. I made my own that works well but it's not very pretty. It was an extremely tight fit to mount it next to my floppy drive though.

Reply 4 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-06-12, 18:19:

Downside as I see it is that I could not find a ready made 3.5" drive bay thing for it as I wantee to access it externally. I made my own that works well but it's not very pretty. It was an extremely tight fit to mount it next to my floppy drive though.

I found this on ebay. I actually bought two CF-to-IDE drives from this seller, one single CF 3.5 drive, and the other one is a dual slot, and it is connected to my Tomato 4DPS 486 build. It looks like I can select the option to have either the same drive you have or a very similar one. I'm happy with the CF drives, so I'll give the SD version a shot. The only negative is that it is 3d printed, so the face is rough with lines, and it is whiter than any retro beige or white case. I started sanding and painting one of the CF drives.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303551644199?var=602858353797

Reply 5 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok that works, but I agree I generally don't really like the texture of 3d printed plastic either. SD cards come in many different qualities, I use Sandisk ultra 32 GB hc1. I read somewhere that that is minimum for running raspberry pi OS so I used it as a reference.

Reply 7 of 7, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-06-12, 21:12:

I use an SD card in a CF/SD adapter, which is in a cableless IDE/CF adapter -- on a P5A mobo and running MSDOS. Works well.

what is strange is how the CF/SD adapter is failing on the Tabor III. I even tried microSD card adapters. It will only see true CF cards.