VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, there is that 486 socket 3 AST computer that I don't use but is quite convenient for testing and seem well done so it's a neat spare. It only have dual ps2 connectors, one for the mouse and one for the keyboard. But there seem to have a problem with the ps2 keyboard since the POST complain the keyboard is either stuck or not present and it don't continue (error 13.04 from post picture). The three keyboard led blink which suggest there might be currents. I did try different PS/2 keyboard, AT and USB adaptor, nothing gives. When the AST complain and beep about the error the keyboard led blink too, maybe it try to re-init it? I'm not sure how to diagnose a ps/2 port. The boot halt there rendering the board unusable. I dont seem to find any other way to interface it. I read that those problems might be solved by resetting the bios so I went that way.

ast_486_post_error_keyboard.JPG
Filename
ast_486_post_error_keyboard.JPG
File size
116.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Once again the excellent stason TULARC came to the rescue at providing jumper position and function. Apparently I have a version of the 202612 that don't have the E8 jumper to clear the cmos. Since it was a PLCC44 I did try to read it via a programmer but it seem my xgecu tl866ii + dont support this intel plcc44 model (even though I have an adaptor). The other smaller intel chip with "FLASH" marker might be either where the bios store it's data or a boot rom for the onboard nic ? Unfortunately I shorted fry it (it seem that I never learn from my mistake an keep on being careless) so it's hard to know what's on it, the bios seem to now complain that the configuration info are now lost and I need to redo the setup (error 11.01 and 11.13 not appeared). Either way, I need to fix the keyboard first.

plcc32-plcc44-intel-ast-sticker.JPG
Filename
plcc32-plcc44-intel-ast-sticker.JPG
File size
262.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
plcc32-plcc44-intel-ast.JPG
Filename
plcc32-plcc44-intel-ast.JPG
File size
167.26 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have an pentium overdrive and a 486slc-33 that I can run at 25 to test software at a broad range of speed. It have intel chipset, pci/isa16 riser and the case it neat too. It would be pity to trash it for such problems so hopefully someone can suggest avenues to repair it.