VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a voodoo 2 card, I believe it is the creative 8mb one. It was very dirty when i bought it and after cleaning it up it was recognised by windows and it was possible to install the drivers.

IMG_20210602_144619.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210602_144619.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I was a happy camper for a short while but then when I started up a 3dfx game it crashed. Sometimes I could see the 3dfz logo very "far away". I'm not sure but I also thought that the memory info was not accurate.

Taking out the card again I found that 2 caps are actually missing from the board. (Sad camper by now.) My thought is that the card is not completely dead so I was thinking I might try to replace them and see what happens.

Looking at some videos it doesn't look that hard if you have the right tools. But how do I know which replacement caps to get?

One of them is c145 in the middle of the board and the other one is c118, close to one of the empty ram sockets. If the pics are bad I can take other ones.

IMG_20210603_200907.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210603_200907.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210603_200951.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210603_200951.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210603_200931.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210603_200931.jpg
File size
1.5 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Of course I will start practicing on something else, and if I really feel that I wont be able to do this when I start I guess I'll just ask for help in a local Facebook group but never the less I need the right caps.

Any insight is welcome. 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

C145 is most likely identical to C148. If you have a multimeter that can measure capacitance unsolder C148 and measure its capacitance to find the correct value for C145. Concerning voltage 12V puts you on the safe side.
I believe C145 is related to the TMU on the other side. The issues you describe could be linked to instability on the TMU. It's definitely worth a shot! SMD soldering is a bit scary at first but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly and the capacitor and pads are pretty large so with a bit of prior practice I think you can totally do it.
C118 is only relevant if a RAM chip is installed on the empty pads next to it.

Good luck! 😃🤞

Reply 4 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-06-13, 07:12:
C145 is most likely identical to C148. If you have a multimeter that can measure capacitance unsolder C148 and measure its capac […]
Show full quote

C145 is most likely identical to C148. If you have a multimeter that can measure capacitance unsolder C148 and measure its capacitance to find the correct value for C145. Concerning voltage 12V puts you on the safe side.
I believe C145 is related to the TMU on the other side. The issues you describe could be linked to instability on the TMU. It's definitely worth a shot! SMD soldering is a bit scary at first but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly and the capacitor and pads are pretty large so with a bit of prior practice I think you can totally do it.
C118 is only relevant if a RAM chip is installed on the empty pads next to it.

Good luck! 😃🤞

I find it strange that they would put unnecessarily components on a board. But maybe it has to do with mass production?

Creative were in a hurry to release the 12 mb card and won the race for the first voodoo 2 according to an article I read once.

Hoping wrote on 2021-06-13, 09:44:

Take a look at this Voodoo 2 component map

Wow amazing thread. Thank you for your the heads up!

Reply 5 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My cheap multimeter does not have a fancy capacitor meter, so I built my own using an old Arduino board.

I measured a capacitor that I thought was from this voodoo board but obviously it's not, as it is 2uF. I might have an other damaged board 🤣.

Reply 7 of 8, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems there is a damaged area and it looks like that some legs are bridged.
I marked them on your picture.

Attachments

Enhanced for Matrox Mystique

Reply 8 of 8, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
anakin94 wrote on 2021-06-14, 07:27:

It seems there is a damaged area and it looks like that some legs are bridged.
I marked them on your picture.

Yeah, thanks they were in that pic. It was taken before cleaning... It was extremely dirty. I have no idea what why it dipped in nougat, maybe it is a preservation technique? 😁