VOGONS

First post, by PecanLoveNubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently managed to mostly re-assemble my old computer from college, a 486 SLC2/66. I'm having a very odd issue where it appears the video card randomly doesn't get detected properly and is b/w only. Additionally, when this happens, my system will hang when loading EMM386.SYS but boots and runs fine if I bypass loading it, aside from everything in black and white. I have an ISA Tseng Labs ET4000 1mb VGA card. This will generally only happen after the machine was running fine and I mash the reset button or power it off/on. Originally I thought perhaps I am shadowing the video bios to RAM and the ram itself was faulty. So I swapped out the RAM. I currently have 4x4mb 30pin dimms in it. I haven't tried a different video card as the only other ISA card I have is EGA and I have no EGA monitor. When I first re-discovered the motherboard the on-board NiCD battery had burst damaging the traces. I went through, cleaned it up, soldered a couple jumper wires and that seemed to do it; however, I don't have a battery currently connected to the BIOS. It seems to retain settings when I power it off for about 5 minutes. I'm assuming there's some voltage floating in the capacitors for a bit. I'm working on snagging a 4pin connector to attach a battery pack to for the BIOS. I'm assuming it's BIOS related as when the BIOS does loose its settings it's fine again, however, it's not required that it looses its settings to revert back to the correct color VGA display. Does anyone have any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Reply 1 of 4, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Checkout this post: Tseng labs ET4000AX - no color = problem

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 4, by PecanLoveNubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that looks to resolve the issue if it's happening all the time. With my system I can turn it on and it's color in the BIOS. I can immediately hit reset and it's then black and white, sometimes though. Sometimes it'll still be color, then another reset makes it black and white, I can keep doing this and eventually I'll get color again.

Reply 3 of 4, by PecanLoveNubble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, so I think I found the problem. I had an old Dell E770p CRT (circa 1999) hooked up to it. I plugged in a slightly more modern Dell SE178wfp LCD (circa 2008) and it's working perfectly every time. Now I need to figure out what's up with that Dell CRT.

Reply 4 of 4, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same VGA cable?

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!