VOGONS

First post, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I am trying to silence my build some, and I am planning to tackle the PSU next. It's an LC Power LC420H-12: it's nothing special, and I was considering swapping it out for a recent passive one, but since it has a -5v rail I figured I'd hold on to it and make it quieter.

Point is, I am considering going with a low RPM fan, but I am not really sure if it's going to be enough to keep it safe and cool. I don't know the exact specs for the built-in fan, but my research suggests that PSU fans are usually supposed to shift between 70 and 100 CFM, while the one I'm looking at is only rated for 35.

I think I already know the answer, but should I go for a more powerful, but still quieter than stock fan, or should it be safe enough to go for the quietest I can get? Has anyone tried this?

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but since it has a -5v rail

Which equals old low efficiency PSU in range of 70%, i.e. produce a lot of heat even on moderate power draw. But it all depends on how much redundancy manufacturer implemented in PSU design. So, without thorough understanding of schematics, it's a gamble.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the OEM fan not have a part number on that you can look up?

A modern fan, even if it's the same voltage and rpm is likely to be measurably quieter and still shift the same volume of air.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-06-14, 22:35:

Does the OEM fan not have a part number on that you can look up?

A modern fan, even if it's the same voltage and rpm is likely to be measurably quieter and still shift the same volume of air.

Good thinking, thanks. The part number says df1202512SELN; now, there are a lot of branded and unbranded fans with that PN, and the rated CFM seems to be anywhere between 35 and 45. This gives me a great idea of what I'm looking for, which turns out to be less than I thought.

Reply 4 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you really trust that ancient power supply to not try any of your components if it goes bad?

To top it off, the ripple is probably really bad compared to a newer high quality PSU which will lead to the power regulation and filtering circuitry on the motherboard, cards and drives to run hotter and wear out faster than need be.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 6, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-15, 00:22:

Do you really trust that ancient power supply to not try any of your components if it goes bad?

To top it off, the ripple is probably really bad compared to a newer high quality PSU which will lead to the power regulation and filtering circuitry on the motherboard, cards and drives to run hotter and wear out faster than need be.

That is a good question. I have been arguing with myself about this, and could still be persuaded otherwise.

At a glance, common sense would also suggest me to go with a more recent PSU, but that doesn't necessarily make me at ease. There's always the likelihood for power supplies to go bad, I have seen it happen to garbage units as well as quality brands; this is something that causes me a bit of paranoia on my newer builds, on which I always go for 80 plus titanium rating if possible, but that would be a comically high expense for my retro rig. This means going for models with a lower rating, which gives me even less peace of mind, and would still require me to research a solution for the missing -5v rail.

I mean, I know that the best course of action would be to buy a new one, but I am struggling to justify the expense, especially when I've got a functioning one already; additionally, the system I'm powering probably doesn't come close to reaching the PSU's 70% capacity (P3 866 with TNT2 m64, Voodoo 2 and SB Live card with plans to add two other ISA cards for DOS, which is nothing too demanding), so it's not like I'm driving it too hard anyway.

It should also be said, however, that I have been experiencing weird behaviour coming from my garbage Sound Blaster Live card, such as sound occasionally coming out of one channel or inexplicable buzzing; this may be due to an awkward cable situation which I am planning to resolve (mainly by running it through a DI box, which I have done with success in the past), but the thought that it may be the PSU's fault for not delivering clean power is definitely rattling in the back of my head.

Reply 6 of 6, by BeastOfSoda

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Welp, after some deliberation I have decided to go for the fan swap after all; this is only because I remembered having a perfectly good Silent Wings 3 just sitting around, and the operation came at no extra cost for me. I might still end up getting a proper passive PSU in the future, as it's still an audible affair, but for now I'm all settled for free, no less.