VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have three Gateway PC cases, with the opportunity to get 4 or 5 other Gateway PCs with 20"-21" CRT monitors for super cheap (the only problem is storage for another 4-6 massive CRTs, but I'm totally going to buy them.) The PSUs have ATX connectors which will work on any ATX board from the time period. However, the PSUs have a different size and screw hole layout, meaning that you cannot put a normal PSU in a Gateway PC case.

Given that white/beige cases are extremely difficult to come by (for now,) and with the trend for sleeper cases or for people like me and many of you who desire period correct hardware, accessories, and components, I would like to find a solution, as these PSUs will eventually fail. I have been reading about Pico PSUs for small systems, or unique systems such as people building computers inside unorthodox "cases." These Gateway PSUs are 200w (it seems that Gateway used 200w on P-II and P-III systems as a standard.)

Would something like this work, and if so, would it be fine to run a PC with a bunch of molex splitters in order to power everything?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322578299623?_trkpar … 7Cclp%3A2334524

Thank you!
Scythifuge

Reply 3 of 5, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I'd avoid anything that looks like a Pico PSU.

The main problem is, old computers tend to rely on the 5V rail, while the Pico is made for "modern" 12V based systems...

https://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80

If you get to three manual, you'll see it only provides 6A continuous on 5V. Given every expansion card and any hdd/FDD/odd uses about 1A and CPU/motherboard at least 2A each, you'll soon end up having a power shortage.

On the other hand, if you connect one to the main board with not too much expansion cards, and book up a second one for putting the drives, you may get away with it. You can use the same coupling board miners use to connect their PSUs

As with everything: beware of too cheap stuff: some may advertise they can deliver up to 10-12A on the 5V rail, but don't make it up to half of that and provide you some magic smoke.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good thing about Gateway is they sold millions of PC's don't think PSU's will run out for a few more years.
They were decent quality so referb is always an option.
Otherwise I'd probably feel more comfortable with something like a small tfx PSU, even if it was simply sitting on the bottom of the case.