Are K6-iii chips obtainable?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-30, 03:01:

Bulldozer/Piledriver was just a bad design overall.

Even before the release it was super easy to tell that the design was not good.

AMD tried to use automation and simulation in their design process instead of using experienced CPU design engineers and it bit them in the gonads pretty hard.

It wasn't really that it was a bad design, per se. At least not the general idea. But it was poorly executed.

The shared FPU method as well as the cache sharing was a bad way of implementing what was essentially supposed to be alternative to SMT.

It was in it's own way a unique way of parallel processing that AMD was betting their future on, but it really didn't play out that way.

i do think it was ahead of it's time though.
Clearly higher thread count dependent applications were on the horizon.
But Piledriver was such a let down in IPC and overall performance that AMD didn't have the market share to cause any developers to push for optimizing any code for it.
I like to think of it as similar situation to the 3DNow! fiasco of days gone by...

Just look at the impact that Ryzen made when it hit the scene. It was impressive enough that it even caused Microsoft to make changes to Windows thread scheduling. Because the chips were selling, of course because they were good.

In short, AMD pulled a Icarus and flew to close to the sun. It COULD have paid off, but it was immature and not that well executed so it failed.

But it wasn't nearly so bad as people make it out to be, it certainly wasn't a flawed as other architectures I could name (cough....Netburst...cough)

Reply 61 of 66, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2021-06-30, 13:59:

K6-3+ may not be too common, and the 550s even less so, but this dropped through my letter box. €55 shipped.

That is a pretty decent deal in today's market.

Reply 62 of 66, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-30, 16:26:

I think I still have a couple NEW ones.
Maybe a good time to sell them ?

Possibly.

But they will only increase in value as you hold them, especially if they are retail packaged with all the goodies.

Reply 63 of 66, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stock?

k63p4.jpg

No dammit, only missed them by 22 years and 11 months... https://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/ … etc_k6iiip.html

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 64 of 66, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I project that SS7 motherboards are very soon going to beat the K3 CPU's in terms of rarity...

I got me a KIII+ 550ACR (well, still in the mail)... Not as good a deal as debs3759! But I reckon still a reasonable price and room to sell with something left over...

But motherboards are tricky. I paid for a GA-5AX (4.1)... Almost as much as the CPU (£100 vs £120) It's not even the revision I was looking after... Hope it's still good!

Reply 65 of 66, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-07-02, 11:38:

I project that SS7 motherboards are very soon going to beat the K3 CPU's in terms of rarity...

I got me a KIII+ 550ACR (well, still in the mail)... Not as good a deal as debs3759! But I reckon still a reasonable price and room to sell with something left over...

But motherboards are tricky. I paid for a GA-5AX (4.1)... Almost as much as the CPU (£100 vs £120) It's not even the revision I was looking after... Hope it's still good!

Not to be a dick but I believe you seriously overpaid on that board.
It isn't one of the great ones and with patience(!) you can still find a good Super 7 board for 10-20€ in Germany. I would be surprised if it's that much worse in the UK.
Sure if you want a certain piece of hardware right away you often pay a premium but if you can wait a bit and keep your eyes open you still find sensible prices for all kinds of retro hardware.

Reply 66 of 66, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nah, that's OK. I know I have more money then sense (the key to understanding this phrase is that I am talking in relative terms, not absolute! 😉 )
I have a feeling the amount of time between "releases" is greatly reducing.
I saw the same board, same revision, for £250.

I had a go at continental markets, where I got the CPU but couldn't find the board.
Yeah, I'd be happy to buy it for 10-20€. I have more components that wait to be built and used!

If you find leads to actual items, we can talk 😀

It's really bad in the UK - I'd be happy to be proven wrong but, so far, I have to rely on my experience, which is indicating otherwise!