weedeewee wrote on 2021-06-24, 18:38:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-06-24, 15:15:
treeman wrote on 2021-06-24, 09:43:
If I had that hardware would be a good test to see if it works with the chip off. I have ordered the chip from ali express for about 3usd so now it will take a few weeks
you don't need a switch to test it, just manually move the monitor cable after the game switches to glide mode
it certainly won't work with the chip simply removed though, you will have to bodge over the signals
or just attach a second monitor to the card, just for the 3d output. right? easier than switching over, though still requires bodging the signals.
Yeah this is a great idea, so simple and logical!
Just tried it but got no signal 🙁
However the card is detected by the system so it is not totally dead.
This is what I did:
1. start system with video connected to 2d card (s3 trio)
2. boot to dos
3. start shadow warrior 3dfx patch
4. turn off power to monitor
5. switch cable from s3 trio to 3d monster
6. turn on monitor, no signal
7. when press keyboard can hear the sounds for the menu moving.
1. take out 3d monster, only 2d card in system
2. start system in dos
3. start shadow warrior with 3dfx patch
4. error no card detected
1. put 3d monster back in
2. connect vga to 2d card (s3 trio)
3. start Windows 98
4. check device manager and shows 3d monster works ok
After the tests I took out the 3d monster the 3 main chips were warm, not hot so I think this is a good sign.
I guess it looks like somewhere along the path the 3d signal is not going out to vga port, hope its not the main chip 🙁
Any tips what I can test next?
I will keep the switch chip off now, I did have shorts with it so it is still questionable