VOGONS

First post, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess the AGP one will work faster, although then you are really dancing around all the other AGP options which will easily knock the Voodoo5 out of the park.

Furthermore, if you are building a period-correct system as of 2000, not having an AGP slot is rather niche. I am guessing people who bought Voodoo5 PCI were those with 1997 rigs, trying to upgrade - but if you are building a 2000-system from scratch, would be cheaper and more "correct" to go with 2000 components (AGP) anyway.

So:
Gaming: AGP
Nostalgia: AGP
Collecting: Both, obviously... But, it I guess the one that's more rare is the more desirable (which one, though)?

I mean, I believe, with cards like these, it's a pity to just keep them in a drawer, they deserve to be installed on a working system... And we should definitely salute 3DFX. Clearly they were passionate engineers, caught in some mismanagement, right when mismanagement was no longer forgiving in the components market.
But what kinda system do they make the most sense in?

Reply 1 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Voodoo 5 as a whole don't make all that much sense. By the time it came out the hey day of Glide was all but over.
V5's do have their benefits like been able to enable Antialiasing and some games do take advantage of the extra speed at higher resolutions
But with most games aiming roughly at the V2 mark a lot of the time that extra power goes untapped.

You would want it on a faster P3 at least, because of that I'd prefer a PCI one and pair it with a AGP card with stronger D3D as while the V5 can do D3D, other cards will unlock the CPU's full potential.

If I did get a AGP version then I'd build a dedicated glide PC around it and then hardly ever use it. defaulting back to the PCI based glide box.

I know this because out of the 3 builds below the SLI rig gets most use as it's the most convenient.
AGP Banchee Athlon 650
V2 SLI + GF2 MX P3 600
V3 PCI + GF4Ti P3 1Ghz

Reply 2 of 7, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’d rather own an AGP version, but when I bought the “dead” PCI card I have now, it was cheap and bought on a whim hoping I could fix it, which I did.

Given the cost of the things I’m unlikely ever to get an AGP card, and the PCI one is most definitely rarer, so for the handful of times I actually use it, it’s more than adequate.

As with chinny22, my Voodoo2 SLI setup and even my Voodoo 3s see more use.

Reply 3 of 7, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wonder how does it work out when you put something in the AGP slot - I mean, that would be, by that time, a fully loaded GPU with 2d and 3d and then how can another GPU fit in?
I understand why the voodoo1 and such need an extra card - for 2d
But what you are saying sounds like 2 voodoo1's...
How does it work in practice, you you keep them both on the machine and set up, at the OS or BIOS, which one to use? Or game can cleverly find the card it needs, depending on the video mode you chose in the "video" settings?

Reply 4 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V5's do have their benefits

Also texture filtering (not to confuse with mipmapping), which is noticeably subpar on GeForce cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DraxDomax wrote on 2021-06-16, 16:57:
I wonder how does it work out when you put something in the AGP slot - I mean, that would be, by that time, a fully loaded GPU w […]
Show full quote

I wonder how does it work out when you put something in the AGP slot - I mean, that would be, by that time, a fully loaded GPU with 2d and 3d and then how can another GPU fit in?
I understand why the voodoo1 and such need an extra card - for 2d
But what you are saying sounds like 2 voodoo1's...
How does it work in practice, you you keep them both on the machine and set up, at the OS or BIOS, which one to use? Or game can cleverly find the card it needs, depending on the video mode you chose in the "video" settings?

2 graphics cards aren't anything new, In fact it was pretty common when 2 screen setups started to be a thing but cards were not yet able to support more then 1 screen.
The primary card in bios will display post screen, windows booting, etc
Once drivers are loaded Windows takes over and it behaves exactly the same as enabling 2 screens on the same card as we do now.

The benefit of Glide is not many cards support it, D3D would be much harder to control.
So it's not so much the game is cleverly finding the correct card. it's much more dumb. A game says something like
"Hey Windows I want to use the Glide API"
Windows goes, "Primary card can you do this?" and Primary says "nope"
So Windows goes to the secondary card "How about you?" gets told yes so that's the card that's used!

Some games do allow you to specify the card manually, that's the better option of course.
And a few games must be hard coded to use the primary card as it just doesn't work. (Powerslide in my case) at which point you do have to go into bios and se the PCI card up as primary