VOGONS

First post, by potato(S)masher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!

I'm building a high end Windows 98 machine and have a choice between an AsRock 775i65g R2.0 or an MSI PM8PM-V (MS-7222 v2.0). Which one would you people prefer?

Reply 2 of 14, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I currently have that exact Asrock mainboard in my Retro rig. A very nice piece of hardware.
I recommend installing windows without ACPI (setup.exe /p i) as with Support, my system sometimes did not boot up properly into windows.

Reply 3 of 14, by potato(S)masher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheRoss wrote on 2021-06-18, 05:30:

I currently have that exact Asrock mainboard in my Retro rig. A very nice piece of hardware.
I recommend installing windows without ACPI (setup.exe /p i) as with Support, my system sometimes did not boot up properly into windows.

I'm leaning towards that one as well. Are you using the integrated sound card or do you have a dedicated one? Because I'm getting this weird sound glitch on the integrated one when gaming that the sound works fine for like 10 mins and then some effects stop being played (like only a half of stereo but it's not tied to left or right channels it's like only "half" of the sound is being played) or sound stops working altogether. Closing and running games again fixes it for another 10 mins or so. I have yet to source a soundcard for the system so I'm stuck with the integrated one. I just hope it's a driver issue and not a sign of the MOBO on it's last breath

Reply 4 of 14, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don‘t think it is a board issue. Rather drivers and/or ram constellation?
How much ram are you running and what patches do you have installed?
I did get a audigy ZS2 because I needed the dos drivers and emulation running. Something which can’t be achieved with the onboard sound.
Ok what Games are you having this issue? I could try to replicate it with my system by enabling the onboard sound and taking out the audigy

Reply 5 of 14, by potato(S)masher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheRoss wrote on 2021-06-18, 07:48:
I don‘t think it is a board issue. Rather drivers and/or ram constellation? How much ram are you running and what patches do you […]
Show full quote

I did get a audigy ZS2 because I needed the dos drivers and emulation running. Something which can’t be achieved with the onboard sound.
Ok what Games are you having this issue? I could try to replicate it with my system by enabling the onboard sound and taking out the audigy

I'm running a gig of ram without patches 🤣 so that might be the issue (I also plan to run XP on the same machine so that's why). The games I've played on it so far are Colin McRae Rally 2.0, WoW 1.12 (a.k.a. vanilla), Hidden&Dangerous 2 and all have the same issue.

Reply 6 of 14, by TheRoss

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I might try it with CMR2, since I don’t have any connectivity on that machine.
You might want to try the patches and see how far you can go.
But most certainly you have another kind of patch already installed (else your 9x would not boot), and that will most probably not allow the patch from rloew to be installed.

Nevertheless when I didn’t have the sound card yet, the onboard sound worked perfectly and I didn’t have those weird sound glitches.
So go for it. That mobo is extremely rare to get nowadays.

Reply 7 of 14, by potato(S)masher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx I'll try the patches and look into different driver versions if i can find it. But a soundcard is definitely on my shopping list nonetheless. But I swear I haven't installed any patches 😁 if they are installed they must've been "built in" my 98SE install disk without my knowlege.

Reply 10 of 14, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
potato(S)masher wrote on 2021-06-18, 08:16:
I don‘t think it is a board issue. Rather drivers and/or ram constellation? How much ram are you running and what patches do you […]
Show full quote

I'm running a gig of ram without patches 🤣 so that might be the issue (I also plan to run XP on the same machine so that's why). The games I've played on it so far are Colin McRae Rally 2.0, WoW 1.12 (a.k.a. vanilla), Hidden&Dangerous 2 and all have the same issue.

1 gig of ram will run if you don't use an AGP video card. As soon as you use an AGP video card you'll start seeing the "Windows Protection Error".

I've tried to get 98 systems stable with 1 gig of ram over the years, and had limited success with some modifications (limiting ram windows can see and sistem.ini editing) using ATi video cards, but never with nvidia cards (especially cards with over 64 mb of vram).

My advice is keep the ram to 768mb if using an ATi card or 512mb using an nvidia card. XP will run ok on 512mb as long as you don't try to browse the internet.

Reply 11 of 14, by potato(S)masher

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2021-06-19, 07:33:
1 gig of ram will run if you don't use an AGP video card. As soon as you use an AGP video card you'll start seeing the "Windows […]
Show full quote
potato(S)masher wrote on 2021-06-18, 08:16:
Show full quote

1 gig of ram will run if you don't use an AGP video card. As soon as you use an AGP video card you'll start seeing the "Windows Protection Error".

I've tried to get 98 systems stable with 1 gig of ram over the years, and had limited success with some modifications (limiting ram windows can see and sistem.ini editing) using ATi video cards, but never with nvidia cards (especially cards with over 64 mb of vram).

My advice is keep the ram to 768mb if using an ATi card or 512mb using an nvidia card. XP will run ok on 512mb as long as you don't try to browse the internet.

So far I have no trouble with windows stability with 1 gig of ram and a 128 meg nVidia card. This is why I love 98 😁 it's like a box of chocolates 😁

Reply 12 of 14, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
potato(S)masher wrote on 2021-06-17, 15:24:

Hi all!

I'm building a high end Windows 98 machine and have a choice between an AsRock 775i65g R2.0 or an MSI PM8PM-V (MS-7222 v2.0). Which one would you people prefer?

They both support Core 2 Duo CPUs. Almost everyone would pick the AsRock as it's a well known mainboard. But it's also interesting how the MSI will behave, isn't it?

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 13 of 14, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd build both and see which works best for each of my target apps. Can never have too many retro PCs 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 14 of 14, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2021-06-19, 16:13:

I'd build both and see which works best for each of my target apps. Can never have too many retro PCs 😀

This is solid advice