VOGONS

First post, by RichB93

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently built a nice little socket 7 machine and due to using a suitably speedy CPU, the speed display on the front of the case doesn't go high enough! As you know, they usually go up to 199MHz at most due to the LED arrangement.

I was wondering if anyone has created any kind of OLED replacement that could perhaps be programmed with a number, or to display something cool perhaps? Food for thought anyhow!

Reply 1 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought of this recently, some pretty cool things could be made I think.
I don't know if it's been done by anyone yet but I'd be interested to see how it goes !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am working on one right now that is ATTiny85 based that has a SSD1306 OLED. I'll post it in my turbo display project thread when finished. I'm also making a 3 digit and 3 digit+MHz alphanumeric display.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 4, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen digits been "burned" to OLED. Perhaps one should build a nice retro screensaver feature...

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 4 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any ideas like that are appreciated. Also if you have any code or how to accomplish that on an ATTiny85 with the limited memory it has would also be helpful. I need some dimensions/mounting ideas too. I was thinking about making a 5.25 bay mount for at least one of the designs.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals