VOGONS

First post, by Traxx999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally acquired an old MSI K7 Master motherboard from eBay that I knew was for parts. Obvious culprits being the multiple leaky and bulging caps. It would not POST and has a status LED of four red, meaning bad CPU. I replaced all the caps, even the ones that looked okay-ish, and success! It passes all the bootup tests until it hits the 2 red LED "decompressing bios image to ram for fast booting." Here I am totally stuck and looking for advice on next steps:

Tried multiple new and old Athlon and Duron CPUs, known working
Multiple sticks of RAM, known working, different slots
Fresh CMOS battery, clearing using jumpers
Tested inside and outside case
Pulled the PLCC32 bios chip, copied and flashed to a fresh one with a TL886 flasher
With and without VGA card installed

This is a nostalgia build as I still have my original K7 Master box, manuals, etc. from when I bought it back in the day. It was my first serious trek into overclocking and taught me the pain of unsecured HSFs (cracking a core die) and the joy of massive performance improvements with endless late nights spent tweaking. The only thing I haven't tried is a new PSU, but this Antec 400w is the only one I have that can pull down 30 amp for these old systems and has worked fine in other builds. Is it work tracking down another more powerful PSU, going with another BIOS chip service like Bios-24 to rule anything out or is this a lost cause?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Traxx999 wrote on 2021-06-22, 00:24:

Pulled the PLCC32 bios chip, copied and flashed to a fresh one with a TL886 flasher

Have you tried to download a BIOS from MSI site and write the BIOS image using a programmer?
I mean the BIOS from here:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/K7_Master
It's an archive on the site. The BIOS image to flash is inside of the archive (w6341kms.150). For a 2Mbit EEPROM chip.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 2 of 4, by Traxx999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2021-06-23, 19:32:
Have you tried to download a BIOS from MSI site and write the BIOS image using a programmer? I mean the BIOS from here: https:// […]
Show full quote

Have you tried to download a BIOS from MSI site and write the BIOS image using a programmer?
It's an archive on the site. The BIOS image to flash is inside of the archive (w6341kms.150). For a 2Mbit EEPROM chip.

I did that, but the BIOS images they have are half the size (256k) of what's on the original chip (512k). I attempted to flash just what I found on MSI's site, but it does not post and gives a 4-red LED error (bad CPU).

My assumption is that there's no boot block in the updates, or something else low-level/critical, and trying to find a full BIOS image dump for this board is impossible. I could attempt to smash together the existing chip and overwrite the data with a hex editor but I wouldn't have any idea where to start. I feel like I'm tantalizingly close to a resolution, that it's some kind of bug/corruption/etc in the original chip causing the error.

Reply 3 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Traxx999 wrote on 2021-06-25, 01:21:
Roman555 wrote on 2021-06-23, 19:32:
Have you tried to download a BIOS from MSI site and write the BIOS image using a programmer? I mean the BIOS from here: https:// […]
Show full quote

I did that, but the BIOS images they have are half the size (256k) of what's on the original chip (512k). I attempted to flash just what I found on MSI's site, but it does not post and gives a 4-red LED error (bad CPU).

My assumption is that there's no boot block in the updates, or something else low-level/critical, and trying to find a full BIOS image dump for this board is impossible. I could attempt to smash together the existing chip and overwrite the data with a hex editor but I wouldn't have any idea where to start. I feel like I'm tantalizingly close to a resolution, that it's some kind of bug/corruption/etc in the original chip causing the error.

Hmm, that board does not have a dual BIOS, AFAICT and the 256K updates do include a boot block according to Award Bios Editor so why does the board have 512K BIOS chip ?

Did you dump the BIOS before you started trying to update it ? If you still have a copy, running it through the Award BIOS editor should give you an idea if the "original" BIOS passes the checksum test and whether it was actually the right BIOS for this board (maybe somebody swapped in a BIOS chip from another board for some reason).

It may be worth either trying to flash a concatenated copy (a 512K file with two sequential copies of the latest 256K BIOS) onto the 512K chip . If that does not work, sourcing a 256K chip might be worth a try .

Reply 4 of 4, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Traxx999 wrote on 2021-06-25, 01:21:

Traxx999, are you sure you've got exactly MSI K7 Master? Not K7 Master-S , K7D Master, K7T Master ?
The photo of the motherboard would be helpful, I think.
In case the model is really correct try to find a PLCC32 EEPROM 2Mbit for BIOS image from the site as darry has advised.

P.S. 4Mbit EEPROM (not FWH nor LPC) was very unusual at that time. I saw such big size only in laptops. 2Mbit EEPROM was far more common.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]