VOGONS

Reply 60 of 60, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xrror wrote on 2021-08-15, 03:20:
For fun, maybe try installing win2000 - even better, co-install it with win9x on FAT32 and make them share the Program Files dir […]
Show full quote

For fun, maybe try installing win2000 - even better, co-install it with win9x on FAT32 and make them share the Program Files directory 😉
In the win2000 installer just set the base folder to WIN2K for max jank ;p

Sorry to others where my IDE/southbridge "speeds" experience doesn't line up. The two systems I distinctly remember banking into this is that aforementioned "Super TX" socket 5/7 board I really wish i still had (If only to actually identify it!), and an ABIT KR7A-RAID (socket A)... that I also really wish i still had.

This is something I'd love to see more testing/info on - it very well may be that my experience was heavily tainted by fluke/quirks of these specific boards. I could also very well be doing things wrong - I never had luck with bus speeds that pushed PCI / southbridge over 75/112 - but then I was mostly on the AMD side and after nForce2 made everything "strapless" I never really dug back into it.

I think that I will leave this system well enough alone. It has been a bear to get everything to work once, I don't plan to tempt fate any further, 🤣.

I was able to get two sound cards to work together eventually the OEM Live! and the ESS Audiodrive.
Neither of my Vortex cards play nice in this system for some reason, and the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz works great for about 30 minutes and then becomes unstable. Don't know why, and i'm tired of fighting it 🤣.