VOGONS

First post, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just picked up a pair of Penitum II Overdrive CPUs, and I was about to install them into my Intergraph TD-300, when I noticed that the motherboard has one socket 8 ZIF and one LIF. What an odd combination!

The overdrive’s installation manual specifically says that it is not compatible with LIF sockets. Does anyone know why?

- Alex

Reply 2 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Might be some cover their arses thing about the fan having no other attachment so positive clamping of ZIF required to ensure vibration of fan doesn't loosen it and cause a bad connection.

.. then there could be other random reasons like they forgot to specify any clearance around the socket with LIF spec but the ZIF version they did.... or they only want to call it customer installable for ZIF because customers are ham fisted and will break stuff trying to get the old CPU out with a chisel or fit the new one with a hammer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its because of the PINS. they are not as secure as they are on ceramic processors. The likely hood you will rip them out of the cpu is 100% on a standard LIF socket.

I suppose its not an issue if you never take the cpu out. But have you see the price of overdrive chips? its nucking futs! it is NOT worth the risk.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stuff one of these on top of the LIF then? https://www.peconnectors.com/sockets-pga-cpu- … memory/hws9971/

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2024-03-25, 14:46:
kingcake wrote on 2024-03-24, 04:08:

this site is great! thanks for posting it

Except when you live outside the U.S.

No one is forcing you to live outside the US.

Reply 8 of 9, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course - quit your job, move to the US, order at PE-Connectors, move back home.
International trade could make things much more hasslefree.

But - and I do support this freedom of choice - no one forces PE-connectors to sell to other parts of the world.

Reply 9 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2024-03-25, 18:53:

Of course - quit your job, move to the US, order at PE-Connectors, move back home.
International trade could make things much more hasslefree.

But - and I do support this freedom of choice - no one forces PE-connectors to sell to other parts of the world.

I was being cheeky. But yeah, international shipping is a mess. I would send out more custom PCBs and stuff to Vogons members if it was simpler/cheaper.