VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the AWE64 but never understood the premium the Gold over the Value or AWE32
Ok sound quality is marginally better but I still wouldn't call it great. especially when been used with highly compressed dos games recordings.
I'd say one of its major selling points is been the "top model" of Creative's ISA range and I get that line of thinking just not for the prices they go for.
Anything above £50 is crazy for any ISA card IMHO

Reply 21 of 28, by DraxDomax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the situation in the UK is not that merry 😀 People either throw away what they don't need or they know what it's worth.
I think it's a combination of our tiny houses and tradition in antiques.
It is always annoying to see the same stuff in the USA sell for half the price... But shipping and customs would make it about the same...

I used to collect old boomboxes and had connections in Eastern Europe - those guys got the newest stuff later and tend to keep them and fix them far longer than the western folk (I know, I am in some way an Eastern European myself).

🤣, my first retro PC purchase (just a week ago!) was in the UK... The dude comes and opens with "hey, are you Bulgarian?" (in Bulgarian) (and I said 'da' 😀 ) - as if to prove my point...

Reply 22 of 28, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-06-28, 03:45:
Pickle wrote on 2021-06-28, 00:00:

But i have seen some of the awe64 value at a reasonable price, anyone know the key differences?

[...] They also only have 512 KB of on-board RAM which limits you severely in terms of soundfonts that can be loaded. [...]

Which is not that much of a problem if you are using the card for DOS gaming with plain DOS only. Most DOS games with AWE32 support just use the (mediocre) ROM samples. There is no standard how a game can know what sound font is loaded to the AWE32/64 RAM, and most games do not support loading custom soundfonts. You can make use of the RAM though, if you use GM emulation using AWEUTIL, so the RAM is not completely pointless for DOS gaming.

If you accept running games in the virtualized Windows 95 DOS emulation environment, or you are using Windows games, things are different, though. Windows takes over what AWEUTIL is supposed to do, that is emulating GM. Windows does a good job at that, and can use any soundfont that fits into the card RAM.

Reply 23 of 28, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

searched my email and found my ebay purchase receipt from 2007. picked up an awe64 gold ct4540 for $2.24 plus $1.64 usps shipping and no tax.

wish i could find the invoice for the biostar m7mia-r i purchased around the same time. would love to know what i paid for that rarity.

Reply 24 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 10:58:
I like the AWE64 but never understood the premium the Gold over the Value or AWE32 Ok sound quality is marginally better but I s […]
Show full quote

I like the AWE64 but never understood the premium the Gold over the Value or AWE32
Ok sound quality is marginally better but I still wouldn't call it great. especially when been used with highly compressed dos games recordings.
I'd say one of its major selling points is been the "top model" of Creative's ISA range and I get that line of thinking just not for the prices they go for.

The 4MB hasslefree onboard RAM makes it easy to load pretty decent soundfonts. Granted, it's not impossible to mod a Value to replace the 512K with 2MB, but it's not easy unless you have a heatgun etc.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25 of 28, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-22, 06:37:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 10:58:
I like the AWE64 but never understood the premium the Gold over the Value or AWE32 Ok sound quality is marginally better but I s […]
Show full quote

The 4MB hasslefree onboard RAM makes it easy to load pretty decent soundfonts. Granted, it's not impossible to mod a Value to replace the 512K with 2MB, but it's not easy unless you have a heatgun etc.

Why would you even consider doing that when it has ram expansion sockets?

Reply 26 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2022-02-22, 07:52:

Because it (AWE64 Value) does not?

As for AWE32, I find that it is even more expensive than AWE64 Gold! when I can find one.

Reply 27 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-22, 10:37:

but it does ^^

Reply 28 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2022-02-22, 10:44:
appiah4 wrote on 2022-02-22, 10:37:

but it does ^^

It only has headers for a SIMMCON expansion which costs about as much as an AW64 Gold itself 😁