VOGONS

First post, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've a Juko AMD 386SX/25MHz under DOS 6.0 and for some reason the (serial) mouse is no longer working.

I've tried swapping out the mouse, I've tried a range of drivers, I've tried swapping COM ports, I've tried swapping ISA slots, I've even tried swapping out the I/O card... all amount to nothing. Whatever I do the cursor just sits in the middle of the screen.

Unfortunately I can't recall doing anything specific prior to the mouse no longer working.

MSD reports:

Mouse Hardware: Not Detected
Driver manufacturer: Microsoft
DOS Driver Type: Serial Mouse
Driver File Type: .COM File
DOS Driver Version: 7.82
Mouse IRQ: 4
Mouse COM Port: COM 1:
Mouse COM Port Address: 03F8H
Number of Mouse Buttons: 3 (although the Microsoft Serial Mouse 2.0A that I have connected only has 2)
Horizontal Sensitivity: 50
Mouse to Cursor Ratio: 1:1
Vertical Sensitivity: 50
Mouse to Cursor Ratio: 1:1
Threshold Speed: 100
Mouse Language: English
Path to MOUSE.INI: (2 symbols)

IRQ Status reports:

4 CAA4:224C COM1: COM3: COM1: Not Detected AMOUSE.COM

This has got me completely stumped! I've tried all manner of Google searches. What else should I be checking? What am I missing here...

Cheers!

Reply 1 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder if you have a -12V issue on your mobo? Not something I've dealt with personally, but here is some reading:

Re: Serial mouse problems with 486! Please help!
Re: Serial mouse stopped working.

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-06-26, 23:06:

Wonder if you have a -12V issue on your mobo? Not something I've dealt with personally, but here is some reading:

Agree and Good place to start ! Could be a PSU issue.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would seem you've wondered correctly! B7 is outputting 0.609V...

The board was heavily alkaline damaged when I first got it, so will pull it again and do some further testing. To be honest I'm genuinely surprised I've made it this far. Thankfully everything else is working a charm!

Last edited by MotoPete on 2021-06-27, 00:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-06-26, 23:48:

Agree and Good place to start ! Could be a PSU issue.

Thanks to you both for the pointer! I'll post back with how I go!

Some time later...

Well strangely pulling down and reassembling the unit solved the issue! Just to be sure, I moved the I/O card away from the P8/9 connector as the IDE cables were pushing up against it. That's all I can imagine was the problem. Bad connection.

My sincere thanks to you both, and those that posted in those other threads!