VOGONS

First post, by dinth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Im trying to build an ultimate gaming PC for late 90s era.
Im mainly interested in late DOS and Win98 era (incl. Glide so probably some Glide wrapper), but would be great if the computer would also run WinXP era games nicely.
I have purchased an Asus P5A-B motherboard and i have a several K6-2 CPUs to choose from between 300 and 500MHz. Shall i just go with the fastest one?
My main question though is what graphics card shall i use? Should i go with the fastest available AGP or get something specific?

I have also ordered an Orpheus card with Dreamblaster X2.
Am i missing anything/need something else to build my ultimate gaming PC?

Reply 1 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ultimate late 90's would either be Voodoo 3 or TNT 2. The Voodoo 4 and Geforce 256 were just on the cusp of the year 2000 (depending on where you were in the world they were late autumn 1999).

If you must have Glide support, then probably nothing else will do than a Voodoo 3. Though my GPU of choice when I actually had a system in that period was a TNT 2 Ultra - I'm still convinced it was the better all-round product.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-06-29, 09:13:

Those CPUs are too slow for WinXP gaming, also too slow for late 98 if you ask me. For your machine some kind of Geforce 4 MX would suffice, I'd say.

I'd agree - late 90's gaming would be need to be P3 or you could just sneak in the Athlon just before the year 2000.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 4, by dinth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CPU should be fine, back in the day i used to have 486/100 until 2001 when i upgraded my computer to P166MMX 😀 Anyway, i still could play most of the new games until at least 98. I should be more specific in my original post, but when i wrote "late 90s" i meant games 95+, but not necessarily 99-00 😀