VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-03, 16:44:

Give Damn Small Linux 4.4.9 a go. It's old but might help ease you in and show how useful Linux can be even if your Hard drive is dead.

The iso is at http://distro.ibiblio.org/damnsmall/archive/

See how you get on.

Thanks!
So, i just boot from the plop diskette with this cd inside the cd drive and then how i do i actually test my graphic cards? Sorry for the noob questions but i'm new to linux! 😀

Reply 21 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoutorHouse wrote on 2021-07-03, 16:48:

Give Damn Small Linux 4.4.9 a go. It's old but might help ease you in and show how useful Linux can be even if your Hard drive is dead.

See how you get on.

Thanks!
So, i just boot from the plop diskette with this cd inside the cd drive and then how i do i actually test my graphic cards? Sorry for the noob questions but i'm new to linux! 😀

Yip thats it. Try with the good card first and time how long it takes to boot to the desk top. Then connect the onboard one, you'll be going in blind, and see if it boots up or errors out in that time. Leave about 5mins extra for good measure. After the time is up switch and the screen comes switch the cable back to the good and see what happens. You'll either see the DSL desktop or some type of error message.

I'm guessing the onboard video has gone tits up. It's happened to me on a few systems in the past.

Took me a few years to get a hang of Linux. It can be a useful as a tool of last resort on systems. I use it along with plain ol Dos as part of my computer tool kit. When I installed Red Hat 7.3 on my slimline HP P200mmx system and it picked up every piece of hardware it got me scratch ing my head thinking WTF can't Windows do this on a fresh install. Being the curious type I looked in to it further. Now I'm sorta hooked on it ..,;)

Anyway have fun and let us know how you get on. It's not for everyone but I definitely prefer to use. But that is just me. Far less maintenance. No need for Av and Crapware software running in the background taking up cpu cycles and memory at all..😉

See how you get on and above all have fun tinkering with your system. I do.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 25, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-03, 17:10:
Yip thats it. Try with the good card first and time how long it takes to boot to the desk top. Then connect the onboard one, you […]
Show full quote

See how you get on.

Thanks!

Yip thats it. Try with the good card first and time how long it takes to boot to the desk top. Then connect the onboard one, you'll be going in blind, and see if it boots up or errors out in that time. After the time is up switch and the screen comes switch the cable back to the good and see what happene. You'll either see the DSL desktop or some type of error message.

I'm guessing the onboard video has gone tits up. It's happened to me on a few systems in the past.

Took me a few years to get a hang of Linux. It can be a useful as a tool of last resort on systems. I use it along with plain ol Dos as part of my computer tool kit. When I installed Red Hat 7.3 on my slimline HP P200mmx system and it picked up every piece of hardware it got me scratch ing my head thinking WTF can't Windows do this on a fresh install. Being the curious type I looked in to it further. Now I'm sorta hooked on it ..,;)

Anyway have fun and let us know how you get on. It's not for everyone but I definitely prefer to use. But that is just me. Far less maintenance. No need for Av and Crapware software running in the background taking up cpu cycles and memory at all..😉

Thanks for all the info!! DSL refuses to boot with this old machine. Managed to boot from my old Ultimate Boot CD 4.1.1 and run a tool called PCI sniffer. It detects both cards and states the onboard one is using IRQ 32... This probably means it's really damaged, i guess... or maybe its bios has been messed with...

Reply 23 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I was gung ho for fixing it, I'd be pinging out the IRQ lines thinking there was a scratch or break, or bad connection.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 24 of 25, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DoutorHouse wrote on 2021-07-03, 17:24:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-03, 17:10:
Yip thats it. Try with the good card first and time how long it takes to boot to the desk top. Then connect the onboard one, you […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Yip thats it. Try with the good card first and time how long it takes to boot to the desk top. Then connect the onboard one, you'll be going in blind, and see if it boots up or errors out in that time. After the time is up switch and the screen comes switch the cable back to the good and see what happene. You'll either see the DSL desktop or some type of error message.

Thanks for all the info!! DSL refuses to boot with this old machine. Managed to boot from my old Ultimate Boot CD 4.1.1 and run a tool called PCI sniffer. It detects both cards and states the onboard one is using IRQ 32... This probably means it's really damaged, i guess... or maybe its bios has been messed with...

Possibly. just ignore it in future. I know that can be irritating, especially if you haven't had the system that long.

At least now you have an extra tool for your toolbox..:

Good work.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 25 of 25, by DoutorHouse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-03, 17:31:

If I was gung ho for fixing it, I'd be pinging out the IRQ lines thinking there was a scratch or break, or bad connection.

I really have no idea how to do that... would be nice to fix it just to be able to use the extra pci slot but i guess i'll really have to use the pci graphic card and forget about the onboard one. Somehow i have a silly feeling it's probably fine and just disabled or something but i guess it's beyond my skills to make sure.
Thanks again for all the advices!