Most stable and compatible win9x configuration

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 163, by Dhigan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scoob wrote on 2021-07-21, 18:57:

I'm sure it was not your intention.

Ooops sorry, as guessed, I meant a wise statement. Thanks for pointing this.

Win 3.1 : HP Omnibook 425 + Toshiba T2130CT
Win 9x : Dell Latitude Cpx H500GT + Dell GX1
Win XP64 : Asus P5B Xeon

Reply 161 of 163, by Scoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dhigan wrote on 2021-07-25, 08:20:
Scoob wrote on 2021-07-21, 18:57:

I'm sure it was not your intention.

Ooops sorry, as guessed, I meant a wise statement. Thanks for pointing this.

😅

Regarding the cpus is this info enough?

SL3XR and SL3XM

Reply 162 of 163, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-07-20, 14:29:
Me and most of my friends stayed with Windows 98SE to the (bitter?) end. :-D I remember trying Windows XP when it first came out […]
Show full quote

Me and most of my friends stayed with Windows 98SE to the (bitter?) end. 😁 I remember trying Windows XP when it first came out, and it was running noticeably slower than Win98SE with a Thunderbird 1.33 GHz and 256 MB RAM. I clearly remember that one of the first games I tested (if not the first) was Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which ran fine on Win98 but on XP... ugh, it ran like crap (d'oh, 256 MB of RAM!).
I had also tried Windows ME and Windows 2000 multiple times in the past, but always ended up having performance/functionality issues that forced me to go back to Windows 98.

I finally made the jump to Windows XP at the end of 2002, when I upgraded to my trusty Thoroughbred Athlon XP 2200+ & 512MB RAM (which I still have in perfect working order on the same Biostar M7VIT Pro motherboard). At the time, Windows XP SP1 was already available, which had made XP finally usable, although I still had some games that refused to work properly on it - like Nocturne 1999, Need For Speed 5 Porsche and others. By that point, I didn't care too much about older games, because I was more interested in the latest and greatest games that ran great on XP (especially after I upgraded to 768 MB RAM).

Anyway, as Joseph_Joestar said, DirectX 7.0 is without question Windows 98 territory. Nowadays, you can run most Direct X 7.0 games on XP just fine, since there are many patches available (in fact, you can run most of those games on Windows 10 too 😁 ), but that's neither here nor there...

I just like to point out that windows Me wasn't respected driver wise. Although drivers from 98se worked on it if it wasn't designed for Me, or at least the drivers, it was MeChan Tan nightmare!. Post 9x era hardware (2000- 2004) without signed quality actually worked very well, a superior to the quality spec anyhow. I am running millennium now on a pentium 4 and it never fails to make fun times especially with HD audio support. (And all the system protection I killed gave it the improvement to actually beat 98se in benchmarks) I think half the trouble with games like return to castle wolfenstein was to do with GPU bottlenecking on 9x that system.ini can be tweaked for: need 2x windows memory of gpu vram is the golden rule works even today on all windows and linux pc's.
I actually have a 12gb vram server gpu that I only run on a 32gb memory system. - sounds like a vacuum cleaner 🤣