VOGONS

ASUS P5A and P5AB problems

Topic actions

First post, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi members 😀 Hope you all are well 😀

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a P5A 1MB cache motherboard, but the clock generator is overheating.
My P5AB is also overheating but it was not, I probably broke the board in my quest for 3DMARK Record.
So now I am in my last week of self quarantine as I had corona 🙁 And want to try and find the problem with these motherboards.

I would really like it if the community could waste some time to help me find the problem 😀

What I have done thus far is I have replaced the clock gen with my supposedly working P5AB clock gen.
I did the newest bios update and no change 🙁

I think there are actually a lot of P5A/B motherboards out there with this problem.

The symptoms is an unstable system and if you put your finger on the clock gen chip it will burn your finger.

I will start tonight to play with bios settings for what its worth.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xbcpvWCZgBRa … iew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aTBFeIRw8lHS … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 1 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like a voltage regulation problem. Have the capacitors been replaced? What exact power supply are you using and how old is it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 20, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:14:

...if you put your finger on the clock gen chip it will burn your finger.

It's Ok. It should be this way. Clock gen chips (PLLs) are usually very hot for fingers.
But if you really measure temperature of the chip it will be not so hot as you think 😀

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 4 of 20, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Roman555 wrote on 2021-07-07, 17:23:
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 16:14:

...if you put your finger on the clock gen chip it will burn your finger.

It's Ok. It should be this way. Clock gen chips (PLLs) are usually very hot for fingers.
But if you really measure temperature of the chip it will be not so hot as you think 😀

Well it is winter here and in 30 seconds of post it burns me, I am a mechanic by trade, I can take pain and heat 😁
Today I checked the temperature of clock gen on GA5AX, it is normal temp

Reply 5 of 20, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 17:31:

Well it is winter here and in 30 seconds of post it burns me, I am a mechanic by trade, I can take pain and heat 😁
Today I checked the temperature of clock gen on GA5AX, it is normal temp

It would be not so correct to compare their temperature on the different models.
Fast googling has given me the different PLL on compared models: ICS9148 (Gigabyte) and PLL52c66 (Asus).
Although, your P5A may have ICS9148 too, I don't know.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 6 of 20, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My P5A is ICS9148

The component circled in red in this photo has resistance of 1 ohm(has coloration but cant be seen in photo), can someone confirm with me please? Resistance to ground is around 400-450 ohm
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F4L1-f39-Cfu … iew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Skalabala on 2021-07-08, 11:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 20, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P5A's are a pain in the butt. I have 6, 5 of them dead, and I'm afraid to use the working one in a system. Out of the dead boards 4 were working and I used them in my main super 7 rig for various amounts of time before they died. All of them started with general instability, then soft reboots that would only occur during idle, and finally Gate A20 error on boot. 2 of the 5 dead boards still post for all the good that does, the others will not. One of the two will provide RAM post beeps if no ram is installed, but as soon as I install ram it will fail to post and provide no post beeps. I tried various things to get them back: new BIOS - new EEPROM and BIOS, complete recap, replaced VRMs.... nothing. The boards are various revisions - a 1.03, two 1.04 and two 1.06. The only working board is rev 1.05.

Sorry for not being able to share anything constructive, but I wasted so much time and money on P5A's that reading this model number is enough to give me PTSD.

Reply 8 of 20, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2021-07-07, 20:20:

P5A's are a pain in the butt. I have 6, 5 of them dead, and I'm afraid to use the working one in a system. Out of the dead boards 4 were working and I used them in my main super 7 rig for various amounts of time before they died. All of them started with general instability, then soft reboots that would only occur during idle, and finally Gate A20 error on boot. 2 of the 5 dead boards still post for all the good that does, the others will not. One of the two will provide RAM post beeps if no ram is installed, but as soon as I install ram it will fail to post and provide no post beeps. I tried various things to get them back: new BIOS - new EEPROM and BIOS, complete recap, replaced VRMs.... nothing. The boards are various revisions - a 1.03, two 1.04 and two 1.06. The only working board is rev 1.05.

Sorry for not being able to share anything constructive, but I wasted so much time and money on P5A's that reading this model number is enough to give me PTSD.

Oh deer 😁
I personally think there is a component aging and shorting. But it looks like all three my boards has this same problem so to solve it is a nightmare.

Reply 9 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have multiple dead P5A boards as well. All my P5A-B boards are working.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 20, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-07, 20:38:

I have multiple dead P5A boards as well. All my P5A-B boards are working.

Same here actually - I had two P5A-B boards - both working when I traded them.

Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 20:36:
Socket3 wrote on 2021-07-07, 20:20:

Oh deer 😁
I personally think there is a component aging and shorting. But it looks like all three my boards has this same problem so to solve it is a nightmare.

I made it a habit to avoid P5A boards like the plague. I'm currently using an Aopen AX59 PRO with a 550MHz K6-2+ in my super 7 rig - got two of them, one from a gold scrapper, one of another collector - both work great. Last week I got a Biostar M5ALA (alladin V, ATX) and tested it for a few hours - seems to work fine. If it all goes well I'll trade my working P5A for something usefull.

Reply 11 of 20, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 18:40:

My P5A is ICS9148

The component circled in red in this photo has resistance of 1 ohm(has coloration but cant be seen in photo), can someone confirm with me please? Resistance to ground is around 400-450 ohm

It looks like that component is an inductor so low resistance reading is normal then.

I did find a tiny filter cap that is broken of, it is by Q4 a filter cap for the Toroid coil there.

Reply 12 of 20, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 21:43:
Skalabala wrote on 2021-07-07, 18:40:

My P5A is ICS9148

It looks like that component is an inductor so low resistance reading is normal then.

I did find a tiny filter cap that is broken of, it is by Q4 a filter cap for the Toroid coil there.

FYI, your link comes up with the message to either log in to google or to request access before viewing.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 13 of 20, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for letting me know, I changed it now.

Tried plenty of bois settings, disabling everything I see. Also tried a PCI VGA card. PCI latency to 64 and 128.
I have not tried older Pentium CPU yet

Reply 14 of 20, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have a problem with my recently bought Asus P5A-B rev 1.04 (latest BIOS).
It hangs during 3D test (use 3Dmark2000). I have tried few cards like Voodoo2 (two of them), Riva 128, Riva TNT, Riva TNT2, GF256SDR (this one was stable), GF3Ti200.
I have tried 3x PSU, 2x HDD, 3x RAM.
I have another board like this one and it runs stable the same setup and BIOS settings.
Caps powering CPU are better on that unstable board than those on one which works stable.
CPU I use is K6-3+ 450, I have tried K6-2 450 and it looks a bit more stable with some cards.

Is there anything I can test with just some multimeters?

Reply 18 of 20, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lukas12p wrote on 2021-10-01, 12:09:

I have seen Your post, my readings are stable, no more than 0.1 V change on 5 and 12 V.
I don't think it is problem in Your case. Have You tried to rise CPU voltage?

I tinkered with this board a bit today [1]

When you say "raise CPU voltage", at the moment my CPU voltage is set up 2.8V (P55C MMX). You mean I can try setting it to 2.9V or higher? I also ready had some improvements on the fluctuations but I'd like to get the +12 a little lower. You think this might help? Sorry, I'm a noob. 😀

Thanks!

[1] Re: Voltage fluctuations on ASUS P5A-B

Reply 19 of 20, by lukas12p

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have checked Your thread and It looks like Your setup is stable when You put more devices in. I would suggest to try another PSU and also measure the voltage by multi meter since voltage readings on board might be just wrong.