VOGONS

First post, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been struggling getting Win 98 SE Installed on this motherboard. I am able to get it to boot from a CF on a CF to IDE adapter to a dos prompt (I created the CF partition by using format c: /s and fdisk/mbr from a WIN98 boot disk). I get to the C: prompt when the pc boots. The main issue is for some reason the keyboard (PS/2) will not work. CTRL+ALT+DELETE does get the pc to reboot but other keys are not responsive. I have tried going into BIOS loading optimized and fail-safe settings as well as individually going through many of the settings one-by-one to see if it changed anything with no luck.

Has anyone gotten this to work on similar hardware or had the same issue and somehow worked around it? Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it boot from a standard IDE drive ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 3, by Heatvent

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I had some progress. I ended up doing the following to get Win 98 SE installed:

• Put the CF card in a different machine and booted to a MS DOS 6.22 floppy,
  • Created a Primary DOS partition on the CF card using Fdisk (it's a 4GB card so the max partition under DOS 6.22 was 2GB),
  • Rebooted and formatted the CF card partition with format /s option to make it bootable (formatted as FAT),
  • Then rebooted starting from the WIN98 SE CD and copied the WIN98 folder to the CF card (as well as drivers and some games),
  • Next moved the CF card to the VIA MB CF to IDE adapter and booted from the CF card under DOS 6.22,
  • Started the WIN98 setup.exe from the WIN98 directory. It was a bit unstable so I loaded Fail-Safe Defaults from BIOS and made it through setup after a few tries.
  • Once WIN98 was installed I was able to load optimized defaults.
  • I also converted the FAT partition to FAT32 using the WIN 98 system tool.

Note: The only setting that needs to be changed in BIOS in order to access / boot from the CF card is under Integrated Peripherals > VIA OnChip IDE Device > IDE DMA Transfer Access > Disabled. Needed to change this when I loaded both Fail Safe and Optimized defaults.

I was able to get the S3 Video, Realtek AC'97 audio, VIA chipset drivers all working. Actually performs pretty well under Win 98 ... able to play Duke Nukem 3D just fine. Need to try some other titles like Doom, Quake, etc. to see what it can handle. Not expecting to do any of the later 90's / early 2000's titles but seems like it might be a good setup for early to mid-90's games. It has a PCI slot so I could add a Soundblaster or PCI Video card but I may just keep it as compact as possible for now.