VOGONS

First post, by lazycrypt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently acquired a TD-4IP-UMC-AIO motherboard and I'm trying to determine the layout of the settings pin since all the CPU jumper pins are pretty much bunched up all together and the markings on the motherboard aren't as intuitive as one would have hoped.

Motherboard

HxsIbZe.jpg

Here is a close-up of the pins in question:

Motherboard pins

If52nIL.jpg

I've searched Vogons and found a link to this site that has a few scans of this and some other revisions here.

Manuals and schematics

Revision B settings:
9rGJINs.jpg
Revision B schematic:
RtodUYm.jpg

By combining all the information in manuals from all revisionsI believe this is how the pins are grouped:

Grouped pins

G9upH3I.jpg

Can someone check these just so I can get a confirmation if it makes sense or not?

CPU jumper settings for UMC8880 486 PCI M/B

I believe these are the settings for the motherboard I have since mine lacks a gameport connector nor does say Rev. B anywhere on the board.
FXtqzjs.gif

I plan to use an AMD 5x86-133 so I think this is the first time I'm seeing a jumpwire being used instead of just the jumpers, I'm guessing any wire with female dupont connectors on both ends should do?

Reply 1 of 1, by lazycrypt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Self-bump/Update with information in case anyone else happens to use this motherboard.

After messing with it for about a month I can confirm that the grouping of pins in the original post is the right one. Also the manual is a bit misleading about the L1 cache. If you have any CPU that supports write-back J22 can be closed on pins 1-2 and it will work fine. And yeah, AMD 5x86-133 does indeed require a jumpwire between JP19 pin 1 and J14 pin 3. Looks like jank but if it works it works.

I can also confirm that the motherboard supports EDO RAM, though remember to then change the RAM module from Standard to EDO in the BIOS otherwise no operating system will boot. I've tested up to 64MB RAM using two 32MB EDO RAM modules. Don't know if it's possible to use larger modules but 64MB seems like it's more than enough for a DOS setup.

And as far as the cache goes, I did find a thread or two on Vogons talking about the boards from this family and some mentioned fake cache. The cache I got on my board was all socketed and worked (256kB) though no idea if they were stock or added in by any of the previous owners. I've upgraded the cache to the maximum 512kB and CACHECHK reports it all working. The BIOS lets you set write-through or write-back mode but I don't really see the reason why you'd not have it in write-back mode? Using a CPU that doesn't support it would be a bit of a waste on this board.