VOGONS

First post, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there everyone 😀

The other day i decided to order a new heatsink and fan combo for my Fujitsu Siemens PC running Win98. The socket is a 370 (Pentium 3, 733Mhz) and the mainboard's model no. is "D1184".
The issue is the heatsink does not seem to fit the holding brackets on the socket. I can get one side to fit but the other one is just way too tight and there's no way to make it fit.

I did a google search for the model no. of the heatsink (it's a TITAN "TTC-D5TB(4)" and all i could find were AMD builds using it, so i'm wondering if this is indeed the wrong cooler for this socket.

If this really is the wrong one, which one would you recommend using on such a system?

Reply 1 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pics?

You may just need to bend the spring bracket on the cooler so it isn't so tight.

Socket 5/7/A/370 should all have the same size mounting bracket and compatible tabs on the CPU socket.

The only real difference is that the height of the CPU is different so some coolers are too loose and some are too tight.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-13, 16:57:
Pics? […]
Show full quote

Pics?

You may just need to bend the spring bracket on the cooler so it isn't so tight.

Socket 5/7/A/370 should all have the same size mounting bracket and compatible tabs on the CPU socket.

The only real difference is that the height of the CPU is different so some coolers are too loose and some are too tight.

EkuzkPM.jpg Y7jozZE.jpg
Hope that's clear to see

Reply 3 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, you should just be able to loosen the spring bracket a bit and it should work just fine.

You may need to remove the fan so you can take the bracket out.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-13, 17:04:

Yeah, you should just be able to loosen the spring bracket a bit and it should work just fine.

You may need to remove the fan so you can take the bracket out.

RT8VO9J.jpg
Which part would i have to bend (and i assume i have to bend them outwards?)
I Just wanna make sure i don't break anything heh

Reply 5 of 19, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to bend the part that passes through the heatsink. Don't bend it too much tough, you need to keep pressure on the die.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well that actually worked!! 😀 Managed to install it now, BUT...for some reason the PC won't turn on now. The red LED next to the CPU is constantly on and nothing more. Ugh there's always something with this one

Reply 7 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For some reason the CPU cooler can also easily be lifted up slightly on one side...I didn't even bend it THAT much.. Why is this PC causing so much trouble ffs 🤣

Reply 8 of 19, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you have the cooler installed in the correct orientation? The cutout on the bottom should be on the same side that the CPU socket has the raised part on.

Also, are you 100% sure that the CPU is good? The CPUs with the bare dies are very easy to kill.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-14, 20:22:

Do you have the cooler installed in the correct orientation? The cutout on the bottom should be on the same side that the CPU socket has the raised part on.

Also, are you 100% sure that the CPU is good? The CPUs with the bare dies are very easy to kill.

I'm not too sure actually if it's installed the right way. I just made sure sure the holes fit in the socket thingies.
And maybe the CPU did die, since i did actually have to literally pry the old heatsink off it. It was glued onto it...

I do have another, faster P3 933MHZ CPU but for some reason the board won't accept that without a patch (which i installed already...)

Reply 10 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update on how things stand:
- Switched out the CPU for the P3 933, works! It boots, however BIOS shows a warning that a patch needs to be installed (Which i DID install already, but maybe someone can help me with that later on)
- I tried installing the CPU heatsink the other way around so that the heatsink cannot be lifted on one side, however i wasn't able to install it that way at all. i'll try taking a pic later which hopefully shows how i installed it

Reply 11 of 19, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Veo wrote on 2021-07-15, 12:50:

- I tried installing the CPU heatsink the other way around so that the heatsink cannot be lifted on one side, however i wasn't able to install it that way at all. i'll try taking a pic later which hopefully shows how i installed it

No need to try different things, just make sure the marked sides match

Untitled.png
Filename
Untitled.png
File size
346.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 12 of 19, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also make sure that the corner of the spring bracket presses right in the center of the CPU-die.
Sometimes users disassemble a cpu cooler to clean it and then they assemble the cooler in a wrong way.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 13 of 19, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as the patch goes, that's how Fujitsu Siemens handle processor microcode updates - they don't include them in BIOS revisions but have a DOS app which updates the microcode patch area when you change processors. As long as you have the correct microcode files, it's pretty painless.

Reply 14 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-15, 22:09:

As far as the patch goes, that's how Fujitsu Siemens handle processor microcode updates - they don't include them in BIOS revisions but have a DOS app which updates the microcode patch area when you change processors. As long as you have the correct microcode files, it's pretty painless.

I did install the last one that FSC had on their website (via my GOTEK Drive since i dont have a floppy on my main PC), and it did install correctly. No idea if it maybe was the wrong one?

Reply 15 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Aha! Installed the Patch again, this time from HDD in MS-DOS mode and that seemed to have done the trick! Rebooted twice and the warning was gone 😀 So that's something! Now to check the heatsink thing again 🤣

Reply 16 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-07-15, 15:40:
Veo wrote on 2021-07-15, 12:50:

No need to try different things, just make sure the marked sides match

Untitled.png

This really was the problem! I totally did install it the other way around. It can still be lifted EVER so slightly but it sits far far more firm on it than before!

Reply 17 of 19, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try bending the clip ever so slightly to get a little bit more mounting pressure. But just keep an eye on the CPU temps and if they are good you can leave not be.

Reply 18 of 19, by Veo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-07-16, 12:58:

You can try bending the clip ever so slightly to get a little bit more mounting pressure. But just keep an eye on the CPU temps and if they are good you can leave not be.

That's what i thought too but the board (an FSC D1184) seems too old to have any CPU temp sensors. I tried SpeedFan but it shows no temp and no fan speed either

Reply 19 of 19, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So much for a software route. You can always use an IR thermometer or a thermometer with a temp probe and attach it to the bottom of the heatsink close to where the CPU die is.