VOGONS

IBM PS/1 processor upgrade.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 44, by Gnoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS is detecting it as a 486DX2, but Windows is able to ID it as a AMD processor. I've ran a program called CPUCHK, that tells me it is an AMD 5x86 running at 100MHZ. My understanding is that one of the reasons that the AMD chips are so compatible is that they are good at lying to the BIOS.

Reply 41 of 44, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gnoman wrote on 2021-07-23, 23:00:

The BIOS is detecting it as a 486DX2, but Windows is able to ID it as a AMD processor. I've ran a program called CPUCHK, that tells me it is an AMD 5x86 running at 100MHZ. My understanding is that one of the reasons that the AMD chips are so compatible is that they are good at lying to the BIOS.

You should be good to go, should see what effects it has on a few games and benchmarks

Reply 42 of 44, by Gnoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It already made Duke3D go from "kind of runs" to "playable, if you must", and that's probably the most demanding title I'm going to test this with. That's a game I'll play in a source port instead, but is a good upper bound for a system of this class.

Reply 43 of 44, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But those Alien bastards have gotta pay for shooting up your ride.

Yah, you could make it sorta playable on a DX-80 if the rest of the system was decent, in a slightly reduced screen, but it's nowhere near as fluid as it gets halfway up the Pentium scale (and you can keep banging up the res into PIIs and on)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 44 of 44, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm uncertain whether your board supports the L1 cache from your CPU in write back or not.
Yes, it makes a difference on 486 CPUs, especially with higher clock multiplicators like x4 or x3.
I recomend to check this first before spending too much money in it and getting disappointed after that.
However, the doubled 16 KB L1 cache of an AMD 5x86 may improve performance too - a bit.