Reply 1 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spacedrone808 wrote on 2021-07-19, 01:10:

Can't find anything solid.
Vantech Tornado?

That was my first computer case back in 1993 but I had the low profile model.
These are hard to find today.
But these where budget cases back in 1993.
These sold for about $35 NEW
Mine had a 486dx-33 CPU and ISA motherboard.

Not sure what model number it was ?

Reply 3 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I knew a bunch of people that had these. I’m pretty sure the mould was shared with multiple companies (with varying quality).

This was pretty standard bezel style for late 80s and early 90s.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 8, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spacedrone808 wrote on 2021-07-19, 08:36:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-07-19, 07:44:

multiple companies (with varying quality).

Any company names?

I have a near identical one of these full towers in its original box, brand is “Topower”. Can confirm that the PSU inside the case is also Topower brand. However, there were probably multiple Taiwanese companies selling the same or similar things in the 90s.

Reply 7 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a name for that case, I call it the one to the left under the desk upstairs. As others have said it was a cheap and much copied case. I got a couple of the minis too, I was trying to find several of them to have a matching rank of systems in the early noughties, but supplies of such systems seemed to peter out with increased exhortations to "recycle old electronics responsibly" i.e. don't sell them for re-use, give them to ppl who will ship them to Africa for kids to pound up with rocks.

Errius wrote on 2021-07-19, 08:26:

Is that a fake 3.5" drive?

Drive bay blanking plates with fake drive faceplate were a thing. For both 3.5 and 5.25 bays. I remember two styles for 5.25, three if you count the later "It's got a door but does it really have an optical drive behind it" type. The older ones were a lever type drive, and a half height version of the pull down flap drive.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 8, by spacedrone808

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JidaiGeki wrote on 2021-08-08, 23:27:
spacedrone808 wrote on 2021-07-19, 08:36:
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2021-07-19, 07:44:

multiple companies (with varying quality).

Any company names?

I have a near identical one of these full towers in its original box, brand is “Topower”. Can confirm that the PSU inside the case is also Topower brand. However, there were probably multiple Taiwanese companies selling the same or similar things in the 90s.

Thank you so much!

Obsolete Projects: https://trackerninja.codeberg.page