VOGONS

Reply 40 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found iPartition 3.3.1 boot cd, made by someone else and its working, but even this not able to expand HFS+ partition (also not partition cloning), to reclaim free space, so probably only solution, until such tools is find, is delete whole MacOS partition and create new one with all free space used.. but all this will need to again put original disc inside iMac and im now sick of it..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 41 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted flawless victory, so i wanted reclaim that few GBs of free space.. and its only showing much hassle this clonning it really is.

Good news is once you clone Linux paritions with Gparted you are almost done with Linux, only MacOS work left. I though that it would be easy.. I started iPartition boot cd, deleted too small MacOS partition, created new for MacOS with all place.. placed source disk into iMac, target to USB enclose.. and booted MacOS used carbon copy.. restarted..
Problem - MacOS is target is now not bootable, even in ATL start menu is this option missing.. so iPartition + Carbon copy, are unable bless with some bootable flag, update partition table or something like that. So i had to place target disk inside Mac, install Clean install.. check if now bootable - it was. Again place original disk in iMac, use Carbon Copy to target SSD. Placed SSD into iMac - now its bootable and my set OS.. i had to set in System settings, MacOS disk as target first booting devices.. and once boot make yaboot.conf edits, because paritions numbers changed (im still fiddlig with it, but i expected that it would work).

I read that is somehow possible to make some bootable DVD with Carbon Copy, but i dont know it would a bit speed up the process.. There is some BootCD freeware, but in now unsupported and only for 10.3, so i dont even tried it.. maybe, maybe it means that cd is 10.3 based, i could be created on 10.4 but i doubt it.. What is probably possible on some MacOS with 10.3 created that BootCD and use it now Mac with newer OS, but using more machines is annoying too.

Similar situation is with iPartition, you again need newer than 10.4 MacOS to created it and it be probably used with G5 Mac and maybe it has more features than 3.3.1 version..

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-29, 21:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 42 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didnt do any actual cloning, but i can confirm that CloneZilla on PC seeing fine Apple GUI partitions, what is good sign.. I had a bit problem with making bootable USB with Clonezilla, because how want to use noise, slow CD/DVD now, lots of new age people even not have optimal drive at all, or behind some clumsy case doors. I tried usual tools Yumi USB - in MBR and EFI one (in has Clonezilla listed as supported), Rufus, but it never worked with my machine - Z390, so i tried Balena Etcher USB which i installed because some Amiga image to CF card cloning and it worked fine.. These tools are same as Partition, Backup tools, loots of bugs and even through quite big changelogs with every release. This could safe time to someone.

Reply 43 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok other bruteforce way how to fix yaboot without editing that yaboot.conf is just reinstall Linux, for good or you can just made same trick and MacOS.. install Clean Linux and return back original Linux partition (here you can take advanced of Linux partition mess - which is making 3 paritions for itself - you need fix only bootstrap one).. only thing which could be maybe different would be that UUID in yaboot.conf , new UUID you can see through Gparted and other tools.
If you want, you can also delete swap partition and with few commands created swap in file on main Linux partition as other system do. BTW heard that Google will probably add other partition for swap like hibernation in the future, to make it even more messy.

Hit the wall with my fiddling with yaboot.conf i was sure than all settings was right, but yaboot still instead of starting Linux boot was returning me to Mac boot devices selection, i suspect iPartition and its partition table editing, because so far you really dont need this tool and it doesnt get you anything special (before messing with it i havent such problem), and because if Mac only related, i would say that is big chance that its a bit buggy, not proven. I did all Disk Utility disk check, Gparted checks, but not i read in some forum that on Linux is some Mac related disk checkdisk like utility, but i really wasnt i mood to fiddling with that..

Reply 44 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One more complication - Gparted can copy Linux partition but, only with same size, so if not have same or more space on original disk this option is not available and you have to:
1) Shrink partition on original disk
2) Copy it
3) Expand partition on original disk.

Reply 45 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont like Linux a i do know why, i was trying to install Lubuntu 14.04 instead of Lubuntu 16.04 and wanted to edit boot config, but i cant because Linux "clever" design, there is some bug, so whatever i trying i cant mount that partition as writable.. i always get bug after mounting for write - mount seems to be read only.. WTF.. i Windows world i would just edit file, here i cant.. because some bug, in mount or how is Lubuntu 14.04 creating that partition.. It tried multiple boot cds and other trick etc.

Reply 46 of 48, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other bug, i cloned partition with Gparted, twice and always during boot, got some file error block error.. linux black death (=terminal, busybox).. I even tried to rewrite files once again with cp copy:
sudo cp -ax /media/old/ /media/new
assuming that before source was mounted as /media/old and target and /media/new.. by command sudo mount -rw /dev/sda4 /media/new // mount for read and write, sda4 is partition number it would change by system
and old system by: sudo mount /dev/sdb4 / media/old // read only mount, sdb4 is partition number it would change by system
), but this same error. I really suspect that Linux tried to be more clever than user and if file exist is not overwrite again.. i even saw this in Gparted i delete partition, got that all is deleted, machine froze and after reboot partition still existed.
So i have to force files rewrite through new install and after i copied simply all files through midnight commander from partition which i would cloned to new partition and it worked.. Gparted seems to copy some blocks its running 15 MB/s, even i copy real files through mc its running 3.5 MB/s so its cleary something different.. Im quite sure that SSD is fine.

If your partiton UUID is different - format change it.. you have edit, UUID in bootstrap partition yaboot.conf and on new Linux parition /etc/fstab file

I tried fsck with all possible parameters, all linux bad block detection commands etc, all was fine.. so i dont believe those, fsck even with all parameters is too quick to do real job.

Here is that error, simple something wrong with files during boot, but any check not reported anything like that:

2021-07-30 22.30.25.JPG
Filename
2021-07-30 22.30.25.JPG
File size
382.06 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Otherwise i found other possible way, in Lubuntu is some Gnome Disk utility and it could make Image from partition and restore it from Linux boot cd..

Now until new disk and done with it, i done it few times through different ways with help a bit too bugy Linux.

Last edited by ruthan on 2021-08-01, 15:01. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 47 of 48, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote on 2021-07-21, 13:29:
Ok i found some list from internet threads: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/42166/SSD … n+a+PowerMac+G5 https://forums.macru […]
Show full quote

Ok i found some list from internet threads:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/42166/SSD … n+a+PowerMac+G5
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-ssd … mac-g5.1810580/

It should works:
Intel 320 series 120/160GB SSD // Checked by me - Intel controllers, seems to be same as is used in Intel 710
WD Green 120 GB // Checked by me, Silicon Motion Controller
PNY XLR8 120GB
Corsair Force 120gb SATA III
Crucial M500 240GB
Corsair Force 3
Sandisk SSD Plug 240 GB // Name is probably wrong..

Not working- system not see it, or kernel panic boot, or its working only in safe mode:
Crucial MX500 - my testing
Intel 530 - my testing
OCZ vertex+ (Sata-2)
SanDisk Extreme SSD with 120 GB
Crucial "M4"

Im not sure what is difference, if its about controller, or there is theory about sector size 512bytes vs 4096bytes (unsupported).

To add to your list: I have a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro working just fine in my PowerMac G5, so it should work in an iMac G5 as well.
850 and 860 SSDs, however, are a little finicky in these machines.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 48 of 48, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-07-31, 23:41:
ruthan wrote on 2021-07-21, 13:29:
Ok i found some list from internet threads: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/42166/SSD … n+a+PowerMac+G5 https://forums.macru […]
Show full quote

Ok i found some list from internet threads:
https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/42166/SSD … n+a+PowerMac+G5
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-ssd … mac-g5.1810580/

It should works:
Intel 320 series 120/160GB SSD // Checked by me - Intel controllers, seems to be same as is used in Intel 710
WD Green 120 GB // Checked by me, Silicon Motion Controller
PNY XLR8 120GB
Corsair Force 120gb SATA III
Crucial M500 240GB
Corsair Force 3
Sandisk SSD Plug 240 GB // Name is probably wrong..

Not working- system not see it, or kernel panic boot, or its working only in safe mode:
Crucial MX500 - my testing
Intel 530 - my testing
OCZ vertex+ (Sata-2)
SanDisk Extreme SSD with 120 GB
Crucial "M4"

Im not sure what is difference, if its about controller, or there is theory about sector size 512bytes vs 4096bytes (unsupported).

To add to your list: I have a 512GB Samsung 840 Pro working just fine in my PowerMac G5, so it should work in an iMac G5 as well.
850 and 860 SSDs, however, are a little finicky in these machines.

What about 850 pro and 860 pro?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.