VOGONS

First post, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have MO Drive Fujitsu MCR3230SS and I am trying to connect it to my Asus P2B-LS. I am using 50pin ribbon cable with 3 connectors.

Drive has its default configuration , which means SCSI ID 6 and enabled termination. According to documentation its SCSI-2 Fast20.
Controller has enabled in BIOS Fast SE SCSI termination. But system is not detecting the drive.
I dont have any previous experience with SCSI, so am not sure if Im missing something obvious.
Motherboard has Adaptec AIC 7890 which I assume does not support Fast-20 speed. Question is, whether that is my problem or something else is? Does motherboard have intergated termination or do I need to connect terminator to one of the 68pin connectors?

Reply 1 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
marvias wrote on 2021-07-22, 08:50:
Hi, I have MO Drive Fujitsu MCR3230SS and I am trying to connect it to my Asus P2B-LS. I am using 50pin ribbon cable with 3 conn […]
Show full quote

Hi, I have MO Drive Fujitsu MCR3230SS and I am trying to connect it to my Asus P2B-LS. I am using 50pin ribbon cable with 3 connectors.

Drive has its default configuration , which means SCSI ID 6 and enabled termination. According to documentation its SCSI-2 Fast20.
Controller has enabled in BIOS Fast SE SCSI termination. But system is not detecting the drive.
I dont have any previous experience with SCSI, so am not sure if Im missing something obvious.
Motherboard has Adaptec AIC 7890 which I assume does not support Fast-20 speed. Question is, whether that is my problem or something else is? Does motherboard have intergated termination or do I need to connect terminator to one of the 68pin connectors?

The SCSi controller on the motherboard is more than capable of those speeds (40-80MB/sec dependant) so UltraSCSI (Fast-20) shouldn't be an issue. Couldn't find one for the MCR3230SS, but maybe double-check switch settings again, against this link for the lower capacity MCM3130SS

https://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/COMP/fcpa/m … 0ss_install.pdf

Reply 2 of 10, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Older drives have different layout than 2.3GB versions. While my drive is MCR3230SS, I found manual for MCJ3230SS (not sure what the differences are) here, https://usermanual.wiki/Fujitsu/FujitsuMcj323 … .815092095/view

Attaching picture of the drive, SCSI page from motherboard manual and jumper config from drive manual.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 10, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But system is not detecting the drive.

What exactly do you mean with that?
Is ist available in the controller's device tools or is it just disabled in BIOS scan?

Reply 4 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't PCs expect a bootable HDD on ID 6 ??

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2021-07-22, 14:12:

But system is not detecting the drive.

What exactly do you mean with that?
Is ist available in the controller's device tools or is it just disabled in BIOS scan?

during POST, scsi gets initialized, it doesnt detect any device. I can press ctrl+a to get into scsi bios and scan devices again, but it doesnt find anything. OS (Win98) have the scsi drivers installed, and doesnt show any new device.

I am not sure which device tools are you referring to.

I am attaching images from controller bios.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
marvias wrote on 2021-07-22, 12:25:

Older drives have different layout than 2.3GB versions. While my drive is MCR3230SS, I found manual for MCJ3230SS (not sure what the differences are) here, https://usermanual.wiki/Fujitsu/FujitsuMcj323 … .815092095/view

Attaching picture of the drive, SCSI page from motherboard manual and jumper config from drive manual.

Can't see why being a newer drive layout would be the root of the problem, but you never know. As a test I hooked up my earlier gen Fujitsu M2512A MO drive (230MB) to my Asus P2B-DS (exactly the same on-board Adaptec SCSI controller) and its detected without issue (termination set on the Asus & MO drive / SCSI IDs 7 & 2 respectively / parity on, direct access mode & SCSI level 2 / termination power from the drive & TERMPWR connector pin).

I would say that my drive & the older gen 1.3GB drive seem to have much more in common in terms of user settings options, which seem missing from yours (according to the manual) or are perhaps now being auto-selected by the logic board.

Fujitsu M2512A.jpg
Filename
Fujitsu M2512A.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Fujitsu M2512A Settings.jpg
Filename
File size
900.2 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 10, by marvias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-07-23, 10:45:
Can't see why being a newer drive layout would be the root of the problem, but you never know. As a test I hooked up my earlier […]
Show full quote

Can't see why being a newer drive layout would be the root of the problem, but you never know. As a test I hooked up my earlier gen Fujitsu M2512A MO drive (230MB) to my Asus P2B-DS (exactly the same on-board Adaptec SCSI controller) and its detected without issue (termination set on the Asus & MO drive / SCSI IDs 7 & 2 respectively / parity on, direct access mode & SCSI level 2 / termination power from the drive & TERMPWR connector pin).

I would say that my drive & the older gen 1.3GB drive seem to have much more in common in terms of user settings options, which seem missing from yours (according to the manual) or are perhaps now being auto-selected by the logic board.

Fujitsu M2512A.jpg

What I meant is that 2.3GB drive is missing some parts compared to 1.3GB and older, so using its manual is confusing as it refers to something I couldnt find on my drive.
I digged through my boxes with controllers and found ISA AHA-1510B card, not sure if that could work to test.

Thanks for confirming that it works with your P2B-DS. It reminded me that I have P2B-DS myself 😀 so I can test using that one. I also ordered Adaptec ASC-29160 today, but cannot find any 50wire cable, so I plan to buy new 50pin connectors and use
40pin ide cable.

Reply 9 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tape the pieces together or they will go in opposite directions while you're trying to crimp. Also if you do 25+25 instead of 40+10 I bet it folds and tucks nicer.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.