VOGONS

First post, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have built a 80-486 DX2 66 SL computer. I was missing some parts for it for a long time, and finally got hold of those a few days ago. I decided to redo the entire project from the bottom. So before I took it apart, the mouse worked. It was Microsoft Mouse which has a PS/2 port with a DB9 converter in the package. It uses IntelliMouse software and drivers.

Now however, after rebuilding, I cannot make the computer detect the mouse at all, and I haven't move any jumpers on any expansion-cards or motherboard. The mouse was connected to serial-port COM1 before I took it part. It worked with both DOS and Windows 3.11. The COM1-port is located on an I/O card that has two IDE-channels, a floppy-drive channel, a game-port, parallel-port and another serial-port. It is a ISA Vesa Local Bus-card which have been working nicely.

So here is what I've tried:

- Moved the current I/O-card to the other two available VLB-slots
- Tried another I/O-card which is VLB
- Tried another I/O-card which is ISA
- Tried another mouse which is serial
- Tried to remove everything but the video card and the I/O-controller
- Tried connecting just one hard drive and one floppy drive
- Made sure the mouse is working on a different computer

I don't know if I listed all the things I've tried, but these are those I remember at the moment.

I really hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this!!!

Attachments

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was it tested immediately before you took it apart, or was it X number of years ago before you took it apart it worked? If it had been in storage some time, I would suggest "exercising" the jumpers and headers in case they developed an oxidation film that's preventing correct operation.

Other than that, is the VGA card different? Especially on buses over 33Mhz, different VLB i/o cards and VGA cards interact/react in different ways to each other and may need extensive fiddling with wait states, slot position etc, for them to work together nicely.

Some BIOSes allow the disabling of COM and Parallel ports, check that hasn't happened.

Edit: Also while you're in CMOS setup, check if there's an ISA bus clock ratio that it hasn't been set to sysclock/2 which the ISA half of the VLB card where the serial is probably won't like, and possibly 1/3 may be a little much for some cards, but 1/4 should be safe.

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2021-07-22, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just throwing in an idea to rule out the obvious, check again the jumpers on the I/O card in case one fell while working on the PC the the port is now disabled or misconfigured.

Edit: Oh wait, does this

Tempus wrote on 2021-07-22, 15:38:

mean that you tried 2 other I/O cards on the PC and you still the mouse doesn't work? If so I'd suggest a good look at the BIOS, maybe even a reset settings to default

Reply 3 of 6, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What sort of settings can make serial port not work in the BIOS? I have taken pictures of the BIOS. Maybe you can see what is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1967.JPG
    File size
    1.51 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_1966.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1966.JPG
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1965.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1965.JPG
    File size
    1.57 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1964.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1964.JPG
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1963.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_1963.JPG
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 6, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cutemouse shows what is in picture 2 and the ISA VLB I/O card looks like picture 1

Attachments

Reply 5 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempus wrote on 2021-07-22, 15:38:
So here is what I've tried: […]
Show full quote

So here is what I've tried:

- Moved the current I/O-card to the other two available VLB-slots
- Tried another mouse which is serial
- Tried to remove everything but the video card and the I/O-controller
- Tried connecting just one hard drive and one floppy drive
- Made sure the mouse is working on a different computer

I don't know if I listed all the things I've tried, but these are those I remember at the moment.

I really hope someone can help me get to the bottom of this!!!

Just to check, the MS mouse and other serial mouse both worked ok in another computer? And don't work in this computer, even using different IO cards?

In the rebuild did you change the PSU? Along with the other suggestions, might be worth checking the -12V supply. Have you got access to a multimeter to measure if -12V is going to the ISA slots?

Reply 6 of 6, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem seems to have been fixed. I swapped Gotek Floppy Emulator to be at the end of the FDD-cable and the floppy drive to be placed before the twist, and it seemed to have done something. The Gotek was acting weird mostly the whole time being the B-drive. I should have gone after that before. Not sure if it was the main cause, but at least it is working now.