VOGONS

First post, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone

I pulled off an AMD Mobile K6-2-P (AMD-K6-2/450ADK) from a bricked Toshiba Satellite 2140CDS.
I suspect this CPU to be fried, but I could be wrong though.
As the title says, I would like to know how I can determine whether this CPU is broken or not.
I'm looking for a approach, that does not require me to put this CPU in one of my socket 7 systems, as I don't want to risk destroying them.
Are there perhaps some specific values that can be messured with a multimeter, that tells me whether there is something wrong with it?
My first approach was to look for shorts/ check for continuity, by comparing each individual pin with a functional K6-2 CPU, with the package number 26351.
Frankly I just have too little patience, so I hope that anyone has a solution, that takes less time and is more reliable.
If this CPU is in fact working, is it possible to run this CPU in a desktop super socket 7 system?
Thanks in advance.
Any help is highly appreciated.

I apologize in case there are typos, I was in a hurry.

Last edited by Wilius on 2021-07-24, 22:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by teclillass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, the most recommended is to try it on another motherboard.

You can browse your processor here:
https://www.amd-k6.com/wp-content/uploads/201 … e_Datasheet.pdf

There is a jtag to verify correct operation. That is quite complex to manufacture if you don't have a lot of knowledge.

You can also search for "universal chip analyzer"

I am not involved in this, but the contribution can be useful.
Greetings.

Reply 2 of 17, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't test whether a CPU works without testing it in a mainboard. But you can reduce the risk of damaging a mainboard by testing the CPU for shorts between Vcc, VIO and GND. If these pins are not shorted, the CPU is very unlikely to damage mainboards.

Reply 3 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any reports of CPU damaging the motherboard when it is visually and physically in a good condition?

In case there is a short the PSU won't power on.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 17, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2021-07-22, 21:54:

You can't test whether a CPU works without testing it in a mainboard. But you can reduce the risk of damaging a mainboard by testing the CPU for shorts between Vcc, VIO and GND. If these pins are not shorted, the CPU is very unlikely to damage mainboards.

I second that, you can still check CPU for Vcc to Vdd shunts or shorts, though some CPUs might have a naturally low resistance between Vcc and Vdd, thus you'd need to have a similar CPU for comparison. I had confirmed and ruled out several ESD damaged CPUs this way.

Reply 5 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Then we have the least known and highly fallible method... divination. If you hold a pendulum over it and it begins to spin counterclockwise it's good, clockwise it's bad... the amazing thing about this method, is that you don't have to have the given CPU in front of you, if the eBay listing has a picture of the actual CPU, you can check it before you buy it, and get exactly the same degree of accuracy as if you already had it! 😉

But if you really, really, really gotta know 100% you gotta stick it in a known good motherboard at some point.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 17, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPUs are traditionally the most robust components in a build and rarely fail; yes there are exceptions to this rule but unless the CPU looks toasted or burnt in any way, it's unlikely to be faulty - you'll need to test it in a board.

Reply 7 of 17, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How common are motherboard-killing defective CPUs anyway ?

I mean, I've heard of one of them in my entourage about 25 years ago and I've read about them over the years, but I never got the impression that this was anything but a very rare occurrence .

That being said, having a low value sacrificial tester board seems like a very good idea if one is going to be sourcing lots of CPUs in unknown/untested condition . Pre-testing for obvious shorts, as suggested by previous posters, seems like a good idea prior to in-board testing .

Reply 8 of 17, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-07-22, 23:52:

Then we have the least known and highly fallible method... divination. If you hold a pendulum over it and it begins to spin counterclockwise it's good, clockwise it's bad... the amazing thing about this method, is that you don't have to have the given CPU in front of you, if the eBay listing has a picture of the actual CPU, you can check it before you buy it, and get exactly the same degree of accuracy as if you already had it! 😉

Just be aware that the directions are reversed in the southern hemisphere.

Reply 9 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-07-23, 00:48:

How common are motherboard-killing defective CPUs anyway ?

I mean, I've heard of one of them in my entourage about 25 years ago and I've read about them over the years, but I never got the impression that this was anything but a very rare occurrence .

That being said, having a low value sacrificial tester board seems like a very good idea if one is going to be sourcing lots of CPUs in unknown/untested condition . Pre-testing for obvious shorts, as suggested by previous posters, seems like a good idea prior to in-board testing .

Agree ! Odds of a bad cpu killing a board are so rare you might win a small lottery before you run into it 😀 More likely is a bad board will kill a good cpu than other way round 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dude on OC back in the day said he'd got a killer Duron, killed 3 boards, 2 because he didn't believe it killed the first one, then put it away for a few months and forgot he had a wild killer chip (Quick, get Tom Selleck and the Runaway squad) and killed a 3rd one with it. Think there was a pic of him taking a hammer to it, not soon enough obviously 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 17, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First and foremost i'd like to thank everyone for their great tips and advices. I'm actually a bit overwhelmed. I didn't expect so many great people trying to help me.
That shows what a great community you guys are. I'm genuinely thankful for your help. I beg your pardon, as I won't be able to reply on most of your messages, but i've read them all.
Since quite a lot of you are pointing out, that the odds are very low for this CPU to be broken, I suppose there is no other way, except to put this CPU in a known good board.
In the moment I have 2 working boards. My PCChips M571 rev 3.2a and a MSI M5169 rev 2.1.
The M571 is likely going to be my candidate, since this board is well docummented. (I have flashed it to the latest bios)
Inspite not being a super socket 7 board, i've read some articles about people getting the k6-iii to run on this board.
Here is one of the articles: http://m571.com/m571/m571_amd.htm
On the website this CPU is listed amongst the processors that might be suitable for my system, but i'm unsure if this applys to rev 3.2a of this board.
Since this is a mobile chip, it has a vcore of 2.1v. However, the lowest voltage I can set on the M571 is 2.2v. Is this a big deal?
As long, as this board supports dual voltage and a multiplier of 4.5x, I should be good to go, right? Or am I mistaken?
Furthermore I was wondering, if this CPU runs well on lower FSB speeds, like 66mhz for instance.
What are your thoughts on using the M571 as my testbed? Am I out of luck with this board?

Reply 13 of 17, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure. You can use any board that supports low enough Vcore (2.2V is fine). FSB doesn't matter for testing purposes. I'd use some standard FSB like 66Mhz and 3X multi. Than you can go from there and up the multi if you wanted to.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 14 of 17, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teclillass wrote on 2021-07-22, 21:08:
Hello, the most recommended is to try it on another motherboard. […]
Show full quote

Hello, the most recommended is to try it on another motherboard.

You can browse your processor here:
https://www.amd-k6.com/wp-content/uploads/201 … e_Datasheet.pdf

There is a jtag to verify correct operation. That is quite complex to manufacture if you don't have a lot of knowledge.

You can also search for "universal chip analyzer"

I am not involved in this, but the contribution can be useful.
Greetings.

The UCA currently only test up to 5x86. K6 will possibly never be supported.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 15 of 17, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome, I will test the CPU in my M571 board tomorrow, if nothing gets in my way.
When i'm done testing it, i'll make sure to tell you guys, whether my project succeed.

Reply 16 of 17, by Wilius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've changed my mind and did the test today.
I'm happy to anounce, that the CPU is indeed just working fantastic.
That is a big relief.
Once more i'd like to thank anyone who participated in helping me.
Just like that, all my questions were answered in no time and the problem is solved, that's just amazing.
You guys rock!