VOGONS

First post, by kevmif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I have a Compaq Deskpro 386 with an SX16 processor and 10mb of RAM.
Twice now the hard drive has become corrupt. The first time I was able to restore most of my files using good old Norton Disk Doctor. The FAT was damaged and there were cross linked files and a few other issues. Second time, not so lucky. ndd won't even start. It says 'program too big to fit in memory'. I made sure himem and emm386 were loading (config.sys got corrupt too) but it still wont work. I think the file is corrupt.

The hard drive is an IBM DALA-3540 (527MB) which isn't a standard drive for this unit as best as I can tell. I have set drive type 42 in the set up program which seems to match.
There don't appear to be any physical issues with the disk based on previous NDD scans and it worked fine for a while with this configuration without any sign of corruption.

The DALLAS DS1287 was dead so I had to run set up each time I powered it on. I got a 'new' one off eBay but it was dead too. I wired up a 3v CR2032 to the DALLAS RTC and it hasn't lost its setting since.

I tried swapping the IDE cable as the factory one is very short and has a nice crease in it from how it is fed up through the chassis to the hard drive.
I tried two different IDE cables but in both cases the drive would not spin up. The only difference is the newer cables were dual cables, not single. Do I need some sort of 'special' IDE cable for this thing.

I think the issue relates either to the cable, or the drive controller.

Can I put a separate ISA I/O card from a 486 in to this thing or will the bios just not acknowledge it?

It was going great until this issue started happening, which interestingly (but probably unrelated) only started when I installed a SB16 card and the associated driver. I even put a network card in and had it accessing the internet via mTCP
I also noticed that directory listings seem to be slow to return to the prompt after listing the files if that means anything.

The only other things I have noticed is some very minor artefacts (a few brief fuzzy lines) when the entire screen changes in some games (had Jazz Jackrabbit and Wolfenstien 3D going on there) and the 1.2MB FDD throws an error on POST unless it is set to 360k (maybe it is a 360k drive but I don't think so - the 1.44MB drive works fine).

I think I will put the hard drive in my P166MMX to see if I can read the previously corrupt files and go from there - but any words of wisdom that might help or shed some light on the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kevmif wrote on 2021-07-24, 10:24:
I tried swapping the IDE cable as the factory one is very short and has a nice crease in it from how it is fed up through the ch […]
Show full quote

I tried swapping the IDE cable as the factory one is very short and has a nice crease in it from how it is fed up through the chassis to the hard drive.
I tried two different IDE cables but in both cases the drive would not spin up. The only difference is the newer cables were dual cables, not single. Do I need some sort of 'special' IDE cable for this thing.

I think the issue relates either to the cable, or the drive controller.

Can I put a separate ISA I/O card from a 486 in to this thing or will the bios just not acknowledge it?

Are you sure you connected the non factory IDE cable the proper way ? If the end was swapped the drive typically will not spin up.
If you can disable the onboard IDE then you should be able to try a basic ISA IDE controller.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also noticed that directory listings seem to be slow to return to the prompt after listing the files if that means anything.

DOS displays the amount of bytes free when you run DIR. DOS is known to be quite slow on counting free clusters, so the first time you run DIR, it might take a couple of seconds for the free space to be counted. The value is cached inside DOS, so if you run DIR again, the "slow return to prompt" behaviour shouldn't repeat.

The only other things I have noticed is some very minor artefacts (a few brief fuzzy lines) when the entire screen changes in some games (had Jazz Jackrabbit and Wolfenstien 3D going on there)

If the fuzzy lines are at the top of the screen, this is a known shortcoming of some VGA cards: When you modify the color palette for fade-in / fade-out process, the game doesn't manage to change all 256 colors during the retrace period. On some VGA cards, adjusting the palette during the display period causes visible artifacts.

Reply 3 of 5, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Find a good memory testing program and run it for a few hours.

I don't have a specific recommendation but you want something that is small, so that it can test as much of the memory as possible. On later systems I use memtest86 booted from a USB key. There should be plenty of old utilities for a 386 class system.

Even better is a standalone SIMM checker, like the old Innoventions RAMCheck and SIMCheck units. But those are not too common.

Bad memory can lead to all sorts of flakiness. You definitely want to test for it, even if it helps you eliminate the memory as the source of the problem.

Reply 4 of 5, by kevmif

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone. I am reasonably sure the disk is solid as I put it in another PC and ran several iterations of NDD. Is it possible that I have selected an incompatible type in the set up program? My guess is no, as I would have expected NDD to totally crap itself if that were the case.

Horun: It seems so obvious in hindsight but the Compaq machine has the cable arse about because it is designed to be twisted. So I need to find a cable without the 'key notch' and without the blocked out pin (or just file down the key notch). Damn propitiatory crap. The pre 486 era really was the wild wild west of PC days wasn't it. Thank you for your help. I am confident I can now verify the IDE cable (with a bit of tinkering). Thanks for your comments about the IDE controller also. Yes the fixed disk controller can be disabled. That will be next step if the replacement cable doesn't sort it out.

mkarcher: Thanks for the insights on the directory listing issue. With the VGA issue, yes that seems to be what I am experiencing. I have a good old Trident card here (two actually) to test with when I hit the corruption issue again.

mbbrutman: Solid advice. Thank you. Will do that next. Your username sounds very familiar. Are you the mTCP guy? If yes, thanks for such a nifty little project. Keep up the great work.

Edit: hard lock in memtest86+ several hours in to testing. No memory failures reported as such but the hard lock is super concerning. I will remove the sound / network cards and try again.
Edit2: Not actually hard locked. Doing a 'random number sequence' test which is super slow. Gave the impression of a hard lock, especially because the keyboard lights (num / caps lock) didn't respond which gave the impression of a hard lock combined with the fact that this particular test takes over 30 seconds per percent. Will leave it running and see what happens
Edit3: 4+ hours of memtest86+ with no errors reported. I think it is safe to say the RAM is good (or at least doesn't appear to have any major faults).
Edit4: Replaced the IDE cable noting that the factory IDE cable has a twist in it and doing the same with the replacement cable. Running NDD now but so far so good. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Reply 5 of 5, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, that's me.

I'm glad to hear it is not memory, but that just means the mystery continues.

Another suggestion: replace the IDE cable with an 80 conductor one. While doing early testing and debugging on the original XT IDE (10+ years ago now!) I found some hard drives would not work with a normal 40 conductor cable, but the better 80 conductor cables were fine. They both have 40 pins, but 80 conductors in the cable reduces crosstalk between the signal wires. On a marginal circuit that can make a difference.