VOGONS

First post, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, so I am finally ready to finish up the parts for my MMX build. I am trying to figure out the best option for storage. I was wondering if it would be possible to go with modern solid state storage and just convert to IDE. Are there any issues with this? I am not totally concerned with have period correct hardware across the board, as I really want usability to be there. I do plan to put a CD rom/floppy drive for looks, but in reality I likely want to be able to load files in via SD or thumb drives is possible.

So what are my options for both hard drive storage, as well as options for loading files via thumb drive/ sd card? I plan to run Win 98 at the very most, if not 95.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my MMX machine, I use a 120GB IDE hard drive. I use Windows 95 as my OS, and while LGR said in his Socket 7 build video that using partitions over 32gb on Win95 can be problematic, I haven't had any issues using the full capacity at all.

Reply 2 of 11, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
solidus wrote on 2021-07-24, 16:26:

Hey all, so I am finally ready to finish up the parts for my MMX build. I am trying to figure out the best option for storage. I was wondering if it would be possible to go with modern solid state storage and just convert to IDE. Are there any issues with this?

Unfortunately, it depends GREATLY on the motherboard. I have many Socket 7 motherboards (most with the Intel 430TX chipset) and they all behave differently when it comes to storage.
So... it's mostly trial and error.
Also, depending on the your motherbord's BIOS, it might only support disks up to 32 GB.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 11, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pentium 233MMX currently running DOS 6.22 off an SD2IDE adapter. I also have a Win98SE Athlon 64 building running with the same model adapter.

Any halfway decent modern SD card will saturate a regular IDE interface during reads, while an UltraDMA 133 might not be fulling maxed, access speeds will be faster than the minimum cycle times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDMA

Get a 3d printed IO bracket, or a front external bay. You'll be able to eject the card and put it into a reader on a modern computer and copy files to and from it. You can also swap cards to change OSes without needing to mess around with boot managers.

Are you concerned about card lifetime write cycles? Don't be, you can get 128GB cards for $15 right now and they will be less expensive in the future if one does die 2-3 years down the road.

Reply 4 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bloodem wrote on 2021-07-24, 16:45:

Also, depending on the your motherboard's BIOS, it might only support disks up to 32 GB.

Yeah, I had to patch my BIOS to get the drive to work, but once I did that it was all good.

Reply 5 of 11, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use a CF to IDE adapter in my MMX build.

I can swap CF cards as needed or plug them into my modern PC if I need to copy some stuff over.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 6 of 11, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2021-07-24, 16:49:
I have a Pentium 233MMX currently running DOS 6.22 off an SD2IDE adapter. I also have a Win98SE Athlon 64 building running with […]
Show full quote

I have a Pentium 233MMX currently running DOS 6.22 off an SD2IDE adapter. I also have a Win98SE Athlon 64 building running with the same model adapter.

Any halfway decent modern SD card will saturate a regular IDE interface during reads, while an UltraDMA 133 might not be fulling maxed, access speeds will be faster than the minimum cycle times.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDMA

Get a 3d printed IO bracket, or a front external bay. You'll be able to eject the card and put it into a reader on a modern computer and copy files to and from it. You can also swap cards to change OSes without needing to mess around with boot managers.

Are you concerned about card lifetime write cycles? Don't be, you can get 128GB cards for $15 right now and they will be less expensive in the future if one does die 2-3 years down the road.

This is likely what I want to go for. This PC is something I will want to mess around with alot. Being able pop in a Win 95 image, and then switch over to 98 with ease would be awesome. I forsee myself messing around with various OS/soundcard/gpu combinations and really just having fun experimenting. So anything that will help me have a very flexible machine would be best. I want to avoid being stuck with a traditional HDD, and needing to use floppies/CDs to get data across.

Im not really concerned with card lifetime, as I do not plan on keeping any sort of long term vital data around

Reply 7 of 11, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm using a SCSI drive in my P200MMX because I happened to have the drive and controller to hand. I don't advise it though as it wastes a PCI slot and the cabling is complex.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8 of 11, by thepirategamerboy12

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
solidus wrote on 2021-07-24, 17:11:

I want to avoid being stuck with a traditional HDD, and needing to use floppies/CDs to get data across.

That's fine, though if you're curious I actually have a USB card installed in my machine and use USB flash drives to transfer files. In a scenario with a traditional HDD, you can either do that or use an Ethernet card and FTP the files to the machine.

Reply 9 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In me
My builds I always use period correct hard drives of I've got them (just for the feeling and sounds), but sec IDE is always a CF to IDE adapter for data transfer 😀

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 10 of 11, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am noticing that when I search for SD2IDE, I get a ton of results referring to the Amiga. Is this for some reason tailored toward that machine? Is there a preferred converter that is ideal for IBM PCs or does it really not matter?

Reply 11 of 11, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The embedded/industrial PC industry requires weirdo storage options for older DOS/Windows hardware that can't really be replaced due to being mission critical and can offer you what you need. There are IDE/ATA flash modules, SATA flash modules, CF-ATA adapters, SD/microSD-ATA adapters, and probably some other stuff that I can't recall off the top of my head. You can get pretty much any of it on Amazon, though a lot of it ships from Asia.