VOGONS

First post, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally got my Athlon XP machine running stable after switching out the motherboard but now it looks like the GPU has died! (Gainward Ti4600)

I didnt get a screenshot of what my machine is doing but it looks something like this... I think it's a VRAM problem:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/2iuC8.png

Tried reseating the card etc but from memory the last time I had this problem I never managed to get the card working again...

Is the card scrap? would be a shame to throw this one away 🙁

Reply 1 of 17, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It can be two other things : driver version and dirty GPU slot and or card connectors. Also due to age and inserts into; many older systems the GPU socket pins could be worn and in such cases I deliberately screw the card slightly off center to the left and then to the right... if that works then it's magnifier and sewing needle to encourage the pins to connect to the GPU again.
It was so much easier to throw things away before they stopped getting sold 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-07-27, 03:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually it seems like that could be the problem, or something along those lines

Just tried an FX5600 and ATI 9800 PRO I have in my collection and both are doing crazy things with screen corruption! Either half my collection just broke or there is an issue with this machine..

Gives me a bit more hope... will try these cards in another board and see what happens !

Reply 3 of 17, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried on a different board and looks like both the Ti4600 and 9800PRO are dead, artefacts on the POST screen 🙁 noticed these cards are all super expensive on ebay now ... i wonder if thats because so many have died? I remember they used to be worth very little only a few years ago.

My FX5600 appears to be working OK so have put that in the Socket A machine ... it's not the best card but it's not horrible, performance seems to be not THAT much lower, will keep on the lookout for a reasonable priced replacement to my ti4600...

Reply 4 of 17, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got luck and managed to pick up a 9800 PRO locally for £25 yesterday so things are looking up!

Just tried it in the machine and it's stable, going to give it a bit of TLC and new thermal paste and hopefully my problems are sorted...

Reply 5 of 17, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it fails this time please get another motherboard and PSU as well this time 🤣
personally i go for the less desirable hardwares but they don't get used up as much and generally a hot potato online.
Chances are they have more life in them and although might be a bit slower be much cheaper too 😀
If you are using the same PSU be wise just to check cables and listen to humming noises at socket ends.
Small voltage spikes ruin electronics and classic electronics loose ability to filter efficiently.
(surge protection is wise)
your cards might be damaged but since they still function you should be able to have them refurbished by a technician it would cost the price of a new card though.

Reply 6 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both 4600 and 9800 are prone to BGA RAM failures. You need to reflow it or find new one as replacement.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has way more to do with the crappy Lead-free solder and secondly with poor cooling.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lead-free solder

Too old for that.

is it becaue BGA memory during that era was faulty?

Mostly yes. Plus high operating temperatures. Some manufacturers are more notorious than the others. From my anecdotal experience - early Samsung BGA chips are the main culprit. Infamous GeForce FX 5800 cards were exclusively on DDR2 chips from Samsung and most are dead already. Same goes for Radeon 9700/9800 cards, which were commonly packed with Samsung DDR 2.8ns memory.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 17, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-07-28, 15:50:
Too old for that. […]
Show full quote

Lead-free solder

Too old for that.

Mostly yes. Plus high operating temperatures. Some manufacturers are more notorious than the others. From my anecdotal experience - early Samsung BGA chips are the main culprit. Infamous GeForce FX 5800 cards were exclusively on DDR2 chips from Samsung and most are dead already. Same goes for Radeon 9700/9800 cards, which were commonly packed with Samsung DDR 2.8ns memory.

Good guess, just checked and my dead 9800 PRO has samsung memory! Not sure about the Ti4600 as its back in storage now. My replacement 9800 PRO has hynix (I think, its in the machine now)

The dead 9800 PRO had an aftermarket cooler installed (was like that when the card came to me), but I removed it just now as I was curious and it didnt look like it was making proper contact with the die, due to that shim they have being slightly higher ... when I removed it there was barely any thermal paste on the die... curse whoever fitted that! I guess the RAM not core died but still, im sure it didn't help the temperature situation. My "new" card is a Sapphire 9800 PRO, I think its a slightly later card as has the R360 core, the cooler has a raised section that makes contact with the core, no thermal pad, so I was able replace it with new paste without too much difficulty.

Machine seems good now anyway ... played NFS Underground for a few hours yesterday with no issues

Reply 11 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-28, 12:03:

personally i go for the less desirable hardwares but they don't get used up as much and generally a hot potato online.
Chances are they have more life in them and although might be a bit slower be much cheaper too 😀

There's a lot of sense in that, subbing in a later midrange for a previous gen hot and flighty high end card. Last years of AGP that's difficult though because of PCIe transition. An x600 might be a sub for a 9800pro (more 9600-ey but higher clocks so benches similar) but then you have almost as much trouble finding an AGP one as a 9800.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

People... You are using 20+ year old video cards which more often than not have critical capacitors on them which are either out of spec or completely bulged. A Ti4600 needs mostly very low ESR, high ripple capacitors in said critical locations. Be prepared to pay $2 each per capacitor for adequate modern replacements.

Vogons members are responsible for 90% of destroyed vintage hardware, due to their overwhelming ignorance. No offence.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 14 of 17, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is abundance of video cards except for the high end ones like Ti4600. There are plenty of FX5200, FX5500 and they are extremely cheap. Bulged capacitors on video cards are very rare, probably because those faulty ones failed long time ago and got thrown away.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 15 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't go overkill on the expensive caps, put the cheaper 6000 hour ones on it, you're not gonna leave your retro rigs on 24/7 and 6000 hours give you 2 hours a day for 8 years, which I doubt you would actually do, so would probably last until the 10-15 year mark where you'd want to replace even highest spec ones again due to age in years rather than time on in hours.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 16 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-07-28, 15:50:
Too old for that. […]
Show full quote

Lead-free solder

Too old for that.

I thought that the move to Lead-free solder started earlier. From what I am finding, the push to remove Lead bearing solders in electronics was started in the early 1990s. The Ti4600 came out in 2002.

Looks like a move to Lead-free solders was started around 1999.
https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/761872

I guess it would mostly depend on the mfgs.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 17, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlexZ wrote on 2021-07-29, 16:30:

There is abundance of video cards except for the high end ones like Ti4600. There are plenty of FX5200, FX5500 and they are extremely cheap. Bulged capacitors on video cards are very rare, probably because those faulty ones failed long time ago and got thrown away.

Bulging is only one failure mode. Capacitors dry out as well.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png