VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The topic of using modern instead of vintage / period correct PSUs is one of the things I have felt quite strongly about for years now.

Here are the reasons why I only use modern PSUs in my builds if at all possible.

New PSU Pros:

• Much higher efficiency - 80+ ( 80-85% ) (Bronze - 81-88%) (Silver - 85-90%) (Gold - 87-92%) (Platinum - 89-94%) (Titanium - 90-96%)
  • Power Factor Correction - any good PSU is going to have Active PFC

[*] Much better voltage regulation - less ripple and more stable voltage output - should put less strain on the other hardware as well as introduce less electrical noise. This will also help the other hardware run cooeler.
[*] Any good PSU will have fault protection so if the PSU detects a short, it will not power on or if it detects a power fault while running, it will power off
[*] Usually rated for maximum continuous load
[*] Run much cooler
[*] Quieter
[/list]

New PSU Cons:

• Not rated as high on the +3.3v and +5v rails
  • Must use adapter or add-in card if need -5v
    [ *] Must use adapter if powering AT system

-----------------------------------------

Old PSU Pros:

• Higher ratings on the +3.3v and +5v rails
  • Can have -5v rail built in
  • AT without adapter

Old PSU Cons:

• Low efficiency
  • Older units don't have any Power Fault Correction. Later on, you could get Passive or Active PFC.
  • Capacitors are most likely going to need to be replaced
  • Way less likely to have sufficient fault protection - how much do you value your hardware?
  • Usually rated for maximum load. No information on how long that maximum load can be sustained is usually available.
  • Non high-end brands are usually way overrated for what power load they can actually handle
  • Usually run hot
  • Usually much louder
  • A lot of them can not really handle anywhere near what they are rated for

I will add some specific brands / models that should be good as I have time to do the research though I will initially mention that anything put out by Seasonic is going to be high quality.
No, I don't work for or get kickbacks from Seasonic or any other PSU mfg or reseller.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-08-14, 22:12. Edited 4 times in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brands to stay away from:

• Anything that weighs almost nothing.
  • Allied
  • Antec (depends on OEM and product line) - be prepared to, at the minimum, replace capacitors and also to mount capacitors in alternate locations as some of the caps in some models are not available in correct values in original sizes and were so crammed together that new caps will not fit in the original locations. This is due to the original caps being way overrated for the physical size. I stopped using Antec PSUs because of this issue across multiple models and I got tired of caps dying and me having to replace them.
  • Deer
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-08-15, 01:23. Edited 5 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 27, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I only had one old psu give me trouble since first getting in to computers in the late '80-early '90s. That was from an Acorn A4ooo which blow a cap. I had a spare and fitted that. No problem sense then.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 27, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As an example all these old dears have there original PSUs fitted and fire up every time they are turned on without any problems. Occasionally a few will be on 24/7 and will reboot/hiccup only if the power is cut by outages....or me fumbling about routing cables.

I've got about 10 other old systems about the place in storage that that applies to as well..

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_093416.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20210815_093416.jpg
    File size
    196.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What brands / models are the PSUs in those systems? The one on the left with the CRT on top is an XT or 286? Those ancient PSUs were arguably made way better than standard AT / early ATX (before 80+ was a thing) PSUs.

I do have some old systems that still have the PSUs that were in them when I got them. Doesn't mean I trust them.

I've had way too many PSUs die on my over the years as well as having to replace PSUs on a huge number of computers that I worked on over the years.

There are some brands that are an automatic NOPE! if I run across them.

A lot of the brands don't even mfg their own PSUs and while the better brands usually have good/great PSUs sometimes they do have duds as well. A lot of it depends on the OEM that actually manufactured the specific models / product lines for them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 27, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a quick correction, PFC doesn't prevent any fault, it stands for Power Factor Correction and it just minimizes the amount of reactive power drawn by the PSU (well, extreme over-simplification, here's a start for who wants to dig deeper). I'm not saying it's better not to have some form of PFC (active PFC has the added benefit of wide input voltage range), but it's quite irrelevant for a PC that sees a few hours of use per month.

And the same goes for efficiency. Most of my builds draw under 100W, it's not like +/-10W would make any difference.

I'm a big fan of vintage PSUs and use them exclusively, I have a few NOS (Enermax, HEC) but most of them are Deltas, which are abundant in the flea markets and I find them solid and reliable after a good cleaning and recap with high-quality caps.

Reply 7 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
quicknick wrote on 2021-08-14, 22:11:

Just a quick correction, PFC doesn't prevent any fault, it stands for Power Factor Correction and it just minimizes the amount of reactive power drawn by the PSU (well, extreme over-simplification, here's a start for who wants to dig deeper). I'm not saying it's better not to have some form of PFC (active PFC has the added benefit of wide input voltage range), but it's quite irrelevant for a PC that sees a few hours of use per month.

And the same goes for efficiency. Most of my builds draw under 100W, it's not like +/-10W would make any difference.

I'm a big fan of vintage PSUs and use them exclusively, I have a few NOS (Enermax, HEC) but most of them are Deltas, which are abundant in the flea markets and I find them solid and reliable after a good cleaning and recap with high-quality caps.

Fixed the PFC lines. Always get those two terms mixed up.

Enermax and Delta do tend to be good though I have seen Delta PSUs that are really bad as well. Delta is what Dell uses a lot and the PSUs were a decent number of what I had to replace when I was doing onsite warranty for Dell systems.
That was back in the Pentium IV days.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, there might not even be any power draw difference for low draw builds that need most of their draw on 5V and you end up getting 600W or so to get enough amps on 5v, the efficiency of even gold PSUs is horrible at either end of the load curve, so you might end up at same efficiency on new PSU as old PSU anyway.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-14, 22:19:

Also, there might not even be any power draw difference for low draw builds that need most of their draw on 5V and you end up getting 600W or so to get enough amps on 5v, the efficiency of even gold PSUs is horrible at either end of the load curve, so you might end up at same efficiency on new PSU as old PSU anyway.

I would love to see some real testing comparing new vs old PSUs on older, lower power draw systems.

I could hook up my power draw meter to do some testing but would much rather have a real PSU tester so I could also observe the power ripple at different loads.

Comparing the wattage rating on old vs new PSUs is really comparing apples and oranges because old PSUs were rated at max temporary wattage and not max continuous wattage.

So when looking for a new PSU, you don't necessarily need anything near the same rating as you would if using an old PSU.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 27, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's more to it, I ran Athlon XP systems with Dx 8 GPUs on 250W "1st gen" ATX PSUs, then mid noughties, there were 450W PSUs that wouldn't run them, even though they hypothetically still had grunt on 5V.. so it seems to me there were eras of underrated and overrated flipping back and forth.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really don't give a damn about heat or efficiency in a vintage PSU. I don't put nearly enough hours on any of my vintage systems for that to make a meaningful change in my electric bill.

As far as ripple goes, I check all my supplies with a scope. And all my vintage ones do great

Reply 12 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-14, 23:21:

There's more to it, I ran Athlon XP systems with Dx 8 GPUs on 250W "1st gen" ATX PSUs, then mid noughties, there were 450W PSUs that wouldn't run them, even though they hypothetically still had grunt on 5V.. so it seems to me there were eras of underrated and overrated flipping back and forth.

Yeah, this does not surprise me one bit. The cheapo PSUs were always like playing Russian Roulette in regards to them being able to supply the rated wattage.

Pretty much any of the PSUs that weigh almost nothing are complete garbage from my experience.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-14, 23:28:

I really don't give a damn about heat or efficiency in a vintage PSU. I don't put nearly enough hours on any of my vintage systems for that to make a meaningful change in my electric bill.

As far as ripple goes, I check all my supplies with a scope. And all my vintage ones do great

I would like to know the brand and model numbers you use and have tested.

Voltage accuracy and ripple statistics would help as well.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Theres a good case to be made for them for sure. Knock on wood though over the years I've only seen a couple sparkle power supplies go bad though which I've used exclusively in my builds and they just keep going and going. It's not even like they are really good power supplies they are very average OEM type things but for whatever reason they are strong.

Reply 15 of 27, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a note regarding PFC: some older systems may not work correctly with it. I have a Dell Dimension which only works with non PFC; this can be a consideration if you decide to buy an aftermarket PSU and use a harness adapter for their proprietary connection.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 16 of 27, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-08-14, 23:36:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-14, 23:28:

I would like to know the brand and model numbers you use and have tested.

Voltage accuracy and ripple statistics would help as well.

Sorry I didn't record any test results. It's more of a "check it when I assemble the system and forget about it if it passes" affair. Most of the supplies are random no name crap 🤣. Some of them I recapped, some didn't

Reply 17 of 27, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-08-14, 20:49:

SNIP!!

[*] Deer
[/list]

What has Bambie got to do with it?

Reply 18 of 27, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-08-15, 01:21:

SNIP!!

[*] Deer
[/list]

What has Bambie got to do with it?

Hah! Deer is pretty much the absolute bottom of the barrel PSU brand over here in the USA. Maybe the name comes from the look on the user's face when it blows and takes out multiple pieces of hardware..

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 27, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Reserved 2

You haven't filled in this one yet. Why prey tell?

Curious minds want to know....