VOGONS

First post, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After perhaps too many inserts and removal of DDR2 sticks on the motherboard (MSI K9VGM-V), the system wouldn't boot with a stick inserted into DIMM1 (long beep just after booting). It would boot with a stick in DIMM2, in single channel mode.

Visual inspection revealed that one of the tiny metal parts , third from the left and on the bottom, had broken and no longer provided electrical contact.

At first I thought it was hopeless and used the board in single channel mode (which in most normal use cases is only 10% slower than dual channel mode: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1598/3). However I thought of a solution to reestablish physical contact: by soldering a wire from the back of the motherboard to the DDR2 stick itself.

So first I identified, using the functional DIMM2 and a multimeter in continuity mode, the exact pin on the back of the board that corresponds to the broken pin. Then I soldered an AWG28 wire to the corresponding pin on DIMM1:

IMG_0011.JPG
Filename
IMG_0011.JPG
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

After that, the wire was soldered to the corresponding pin on the memory stick:

IMG_0012.JPG
Filename
IMG_0012.JPG
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

After putting the motherboard back into the case:

IMG_0014.JPG
Filename
IMG_0014.JPG
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0015.JPG
Filename
IMG_0015.JPG
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The board booted fine, but unfortunately screwing back that screw was a bad idea. I smelled some smoke, and the wire had burned and slit in half. I suppose the screw created a short with ground and thus caused the wire to burn:

IMG_0016.JPG
Filename
IMG_0016.JPG
File size
1.29 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by cde on 2021-08-15, 11:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fortunately I had quickly turned off the PSU as soon as I smelled smoke, and the board would still boot with the DIMM2 slot. So I thought maybe DIMM1 is still working, and proceeded to solder a new wire. The result:

IMG_0017.JPG
Filename
IMG_0017.JPG
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_0027.JPG
Filename
IMG_0027.JPG
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So in the end this shows that it's good not to give up, even something that seems very difficult to repair at first glance (replacing the whole DIMM plastic holder would be next to impossible), with a bit of ingenuity a lot can be achieved 😀

Reply 2 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice idea, but I’d imagine there will be issues with latency given the effort that goes into ensuring equal trace length on the board and the resulting wire length.

I’d probably attempt to replace the pin, and if that failed, the entire socket.

Reply 3 of 10, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2021-08-15, 12:16:

Nice idea, but I’d imagine there will be issues with latency given the effort that goes into ensuring equal trace length on the board and the resulting wire length.

I’d probably attempt to replace the pin, and if that failed, the entire socket.

You are correct. It's possible that this particular pin is less sensitive to the trace length, or that the chipset's self calibrating function (if it exists) compensated for it. I'm thinking with these older memory speeds trace length is probably more forgiving than the most recent DDR4 memory.

Reply 4 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it's easy enough to look up the pinout and find out that it's the VCC SPD line, which supplies 3v3 to the little eeprom on the dimm.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 10, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt there is any other place to get 3v3 on the dimm socket, heck it could even be a different voltage, like 2v5, but still the DDR2 voltage seems to be 1v8.
though I have to say, I haven't looked into it further.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 7 of 10, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-08-15, 15:49:

I doubt there is any other place to get 3v3 on the dimm socket, heck it could even be a different voltage, like 2v5, but still the DDR2 voltage seems to be 1v8.
though I have to say, I haven't looked into it further.

Thanks to your suggestion, I was able to make a better repair by reusing the 3.3v from one DIMM to another:

Attachments