VOGONS

Help to identify 386 motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by dominiqe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I have found old beautiful vintage PC with the motherboard pictured below.
I cannot find the jumper settings for it on Internet.
Could someone help me to identify this motherboard?
There is a label on it: NC-386ET V2.0 and a sticker on the opposite side of the mobo saying that the PC was assembled in december 1991.

I cannot read and post here the BIOS string, because this PC is equipped with 9 pin video card output - I have no monitor with such a plug.
Moreover I have no ISA VGA in order to run this thing with normal monitor.
In such situation I am stuck for now, but maybe someone will guess the manufacturer of this mobo.

Here it is:
77f52f582c2a7.jpg

Reply 1 of 25, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi!

That looks like to be a Soyo motherboard, judging from the ETEQ-labeled chipset. That may not be much but it should be a start.

The most surefire way to be 100% sure would be to get the BIOS POST string...

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 2 of 25, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interesting ! That chipset was used on a few 486 motherboards like the J-Bond A450C

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 25, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks like a pretty cool 386 board, not often you get sixteen 30-pin SIMM slots like that.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 5 of 25, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, you'd think it would stick out and be easy to find from that, but nope, all you get are bigass server boards when you look for 16 SIMM.

IDK if it would be such a dream board though, my suspicious nature would tend to think that they stuck so many SIMMs on because they couldn't support a very large SIMM size... so might top out at 16MB still... or if they were really cruel 4.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 25, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

16MB from a bunch of 1MB SIMMs isn't so bad. I'm fairly certain it will go higher than 4MB with 16 slots.
Given the 1991 date code on the chipset, I think it's fairly safe to say that it won't limit to 4MB.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 7 of 25, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

funny coincidences....
if it's the same 82C491 as the opti, then max supported memory (for the chipset) is 64MB, 16x 4MB simm

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 8 of 25, by dominiqe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

At last I received ISA vga card, but I have no luck. The motherboard gives me 9 short beeps, pause, 9 short beeps and so on.
According to AMI bios beep codes this behaviour indicates on bad bios chip.
What do you recommend now? What should I do? I really would like to save this mobo. Is there a possibility to read the ROM and program another chip - for instance W27C512?

Reply 9 of 25, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have a way to read the chip, please make a backup and send it to us, even if the bios might be corrupted, it may not be corrupted enough to be unidentifiable, and also identify what chipset is that ETEQ (because ETEQ chipsets are rebrands from other chipsets), so you'll be able to find a compatible bios.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 10 of 25, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you make sure that the BIOS ROM chip was inserted correctly? I've met boards where the chip had a crushed or bent over pin that wasn't making good contact with the socket.

Also, I believe this is the appropriate MR BIOS for that board. According to MR BIOS' documentation, this is the ETEQ 'Cougar' Rev. A chipset.

Attachments

• Filename
    V018B301.zip
    File size
    47.16 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 25, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Stupid question, but this was not mentioned, so: have you installed memory modules when you tested the board ?
Try installing the SIMMs in other slots.
Are you sure the memory and VGA card are good ? Do they work well in other motherboards ?
Do you have POST card ? I recommend getting one if you don't.
Try removing the tag and cache chips and test again.

Last edited by Zerthimon on 2021-08-25, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 25, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are empty DIP-panels near the cache. It looks like one is missing 74F244, the other is missing 74F251 and the third I cannot see what (16Kx4 SRAM ?) . Those panels not necessarily need to be filled.

Reply 16 of 25, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If changing the BIOS doesn't work (either with MR BIOS or with the original, correct AMI BIOS programmed on a fresh EPROM chip), it's possible the BIOS socket is faulty, or maybe that 74ALS573 is faulty. (Have someone with a logic probe and/or scope help with that.)
I've had to replace TTLs (mostly LS245 and F245) recently on old 386/486 boards and even old VLB video cards lately.

Reply 17 of 25, by dominiqe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys. I have flashed attached MRBIOS file (V018B301.zip) to the new ROM CHIP and ... it works!!!
The board is alive and I am very happy - I feel like exactly the same when I had my first 386DX PC in 1993.

I have also read original bios from the chip that was installed in motherboard.

I wonder who manufactured this mobo - could you tell me?

Attachments

• Filename
    NC-386ETV20.ZIP
    File size
    36.69 KiB
    Downloads
    51 downloads
    File comment
    NC-386ET V2.0 BIOS dump
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18 of 25, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

30-0400-ZZ1500-00101111-050591-ET/386H

Bios from 1991 - 05 - 05
some googling leads me to think it was made for zz1500 Netcon Co. can't say I ever heard of'm nor if the info is correct, the 1 apparently indicates a taiwanese company.
there is a taiwanese netcom company on the internets, and they make computerhardware, and they have some annoyingly named "486DX" mainboards/SBC/CPUcards... so might well be it.

edit: tried bios image in pcem, and gives same 9 beeps, then repeats.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port