VOGONS

First post, by Jotschi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm currently restoring an old Intel 386 DX 40 mainboard which suffered from a leaking battery.

mix.jpg
Filename
mix.jpg
File size
569.86 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So far I have replaced the ROM socket and added five bodge wires.
I have a known working ISA diagnostic card but when I power up the 386 no opt codes are shown on the seven segment display.
Is it possible that a 386 does not provide opt codes during bootup? I saw something similar in a youtube video in which no codes were shown but the board did boot just fine.
Unfortunately I do not own a 16 bit ISA VGA card. (I'm trying to get one but prices on ebay are insane)

I have an Cirrus Logic VLB VGA card and two 8 bit MDA cards from my IBM 5150 / 5160.
Can one of those be used with the 386?

I checked the address lines A0 to A15 and all show activity. The EEPROM OE is high and I see 14 Mhz on Pin B30 (OSC) on the ISA connector. The CLK pin B20 also shows ~6.6 Mhz.
I dumped the BIOS content and the MD5 0be5cfe7130a699e6dd39de54f7eb7b7 yields some links on google on BIOS roms. So I think the ROM is okay.

I hear no beeps on the speaker. I however will do a sanity check using a second speaker.

All in all I think the board seems to be operative. Is there maybe something else I can check to be sure?

I also attempted to record the BIOS operation via my logic analyzer (mainly an educational step since I saw the video from Curious Marc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyqo-XOuHK4 and wanted to try this myself). I however did not find a way to decode the address line input A0 to A15 to a memory address in PulseView.

Any hints or tips would be welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jotschi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick update.

The board is now giving post codes. I did miss a dry solderpoint on VCC pin of the EPROM so the BIOS never loaded. It is now beeping stopping at code 46. I'll check again when I get an ISA VGA card.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jotschi wrote on 2021-08-29, 23:01:

Quick update.

The board is now giving post codes. I did miss a dry solderpoint on VCC pin of the EPROM so the BIOS never loaded. It is now beeping stopping at code 46. I'll check again when I get an ISA VGA card.

I think it's waiting for some inout. Try pressing del/F1... and see if it does anything.
Entering BIOS often doesn't display any change in post codes though.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 3 of 4, by Jotschi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a 16bit VGA card but it was lacking the VGA BIOS. Luckily it was listed on http://minuszerodegrees.net/rom/rom.htm and I could burn it. I now got VGA output but the keyboard was not working properly. I had to bridge CLK or Data to pin 39 of the jetkey KBD controller IC. Now the board is nearly completely working. It is only lacking a battery to store the CMOS settings. I'm thinking about adding a CR2032 + diode to solve that last part.