VOGONS

First post, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey everyone,

so I got this board last year (or was it 2019?) and now I found the time to dig into and all seems to work fine with an AMD 5x86 (or smaller CPUs). I was able to install Dos6 and Win311. But when I try to install eg. Wing Commander 3 the setup stops randomly when I try to copy the optional files to the HD. If I copy the files manually via NC works fine. If I dont copy the files and start the game its stops randomly somewhere when trying to load data.

Where should I look to fix this? What could cause the problem?

Thanks

ps. the disk is a 8GB DOM but I tried also a very old harddrive with the same results 🙁

BOX#1: ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 3 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-08-20, 04:31:

Is the CDROM drive working okay ?

Yes, it did work all well with my M912 setup.

Disruptor wrote on 2021-08-20, 02:20:

Have you tried with slower DRAM / SRAM (Cache) timings?

I just did, set it to slowest and played around with it. The game starts but freezes randomly when I video scenes - but as a victory I was able to copy the files to the HD within the setup.

Also as mentioned the problem is not tight to this CPU It happens also with other CPUs. I wonder if there is a problem with the IDE controller.

I still have a PCI sata here which works also flawless within DOS. I will test it and report.

BOX#1: ASUS P5A | Pentium1 200 | 64MB PC100 | Voodoo3 AGP | AWE64 GOLD + SIMMConn| 16GB Kingspec DOM | DVD Drive | Dos 6.22 + Win98

Reply 4 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok I just tried this now. I removed the DOM from the onboard IDE controller and installed the PCI sata controller and connected a 150GB sata drive I had here in spare.

FDISK sadly says the drive has a max of only 512MB but fine for the moment. C created, dos and drivers installed. WC3 setup started and all flawless and the game doesn't stop and any point. The CD Rom is still connected to the onboard IDE on the secondary port.

Does the primary IDE then have a problem? The DOM worked fine on my M912 and Amiga.

Reply 5 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now I remember why I got that RevF board : LuckyStar LS486E Rev:C1 Strange Problem ...wow ... I need vacation

Reply 6 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok. after experimenting with master and slave and combinations (DOM/CF) + cdrom : the cdrom drive is finally the problem. I had never guessed that specially since it worked fine in previous setups. I had another drive in spare and all works fine.

I had to go the hard way. sigh.

Thanks for help.

Reply 7 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maw wrote on 2021-09-02, 02:44:
ok. after experimenting with master and slave and combinations (DOM/CF) + cdrom : the cdrom drive is finally the problem. I had […]
Show full quote

ok. after experimenting with master and slave and combinations (DOM/CF) + cdrom : the cdrom drive is finally the problem. I had never guessed that specially since it worked fine in previous setups. I had another drive in spare and all works fine.

I had to go the hard way. sigh.

Thanks for help.

Get a Sony 52x CDROM drive.

Reply 8 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so finally the CDRom isn't the problem it showed up again. So a different approach. I got a Promise Ultra33 IDE PCI controller and plugged there the HD (DOM). CDRom wont work there with DOS (sadly). I kept the CDRom on the onboard secondary controller and disabled the primary.

The WC3 setup works now flawless and no breakup when the setup copies game files to the HD. But When I start the game I get the following screen.

20210907_155042.jpg
Filename
20210907_155042.jpg
File size
390.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I tried to install the game on C then tried D with the same result. Then I switched the CDRom to onboard primary and same result. BUT: when I dont copy the files to the HD and save the config and start the game it works flawless as it should.

What can be the problem? 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by maw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem does not appear with the English version of Wing Commander 3 (I always tested with the German one). I will test that later when the HD is plugged on the onboard IDE.

Reply 11 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isolate the defect by replacing every component with a known-good one, until you found it.

Also check the PSU voltages, you seem to have almost no +12V load, only on +5V (e.g. crossloading situation).
I have seen PSUs that go down to 4.2V on +5V, far out of the safe range for stable operation. Strange things are to expect then.

Reply 12 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maw wrote on 2021-09-16, 22:44:

The problem does not appear with the English version of Wing Commander 3 (I always tested with the German one). I will test that later when the HD is plugged on the onboard IDE.

Sounds like you have some corrupt files in the German version if the English version works OK. Have you tried that German version on another computer ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun