VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm swapping a lot of hardware around in Windows 98se and I've repeatedly been plagued with an issue where it will take minutes to load instead of maybe 20-30 seconds. This isn't always related to swapping around hardware as it will sometimes do this when all I did was turn off the computer and turn it back on.

I am using a very fast CompactFlash card and the Windows installable is minimal with very little installed.

This is completely anecdotal and is surely to vary between individual experiences and hardware configurations but the experience is obvious to anyone who has had to sit around just waiting for the system to boot up.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Reply 1 of 11, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I experience this when the networking cable of my Win98 PC is unplugged. It happens because the loading of the OS seems to halt until the operation of the DHCP client fails, which can take more than a minute sometimes.

Reply 3 of 11, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some other drivers that cause this behaviour. unfortunately I'm no or due which drivers. I have the same experience on some computers, from s7 to s478.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 4 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've experienced it after swapping a lot of hardware around before. There's several ways to fix it. 1st thing you want to do is boot into safemode. then go device manager in safe mode and remove phantom hardware. You might see duplicate entries and even hardware you removed before that isn't there. if its still slow after that post here since its a complex thing to solve, which sometime involves resetting the bios to default settings, changing the bios settings from pnp OS to NO pnp os, and disabling onboard hardware like serial and parallel ports etc. Also if you can post a screen shot of you system properties the IRQ sharing part.

Reply 5 of 11, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe your Windows is messing around with the swapfile... flash cards tends to be very slow when writing files.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 11, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Note that removing phantom hardware as suggested above is not always sufficient. There are network adapter entries in windows registry that don't show up anywhere, but it seems Windows may process them at boot time. I found it out after testing multiple wifi cards on my PIII rig. Removing phantom drivers or even registry entries didn't help and I had to reinstall the system. I also encountered weird issues like WPA/PSK not being available for selection, only WEP. In that case driver installation of one wifi card broke setup of another card. Uninstallation/reinstallation of drivers didn't help. Do not test new hardware on your main rig.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 11, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I once had this start happening seemingly inexplicably and it was driving me mad. Then I realized my AWE64 gold was loading a 28MB sound font every boot and it took ages! Removing the sound font each time before I shutdown the computer eliminated the problem.

Reply 9 of 11, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote on 2021-08-20, 09:27:

Maybe your Windows is messing around with the swapfile... flash cards tends to be very slow when writing files.

Yah if you turn off too soon or half booted it can crap the swapfile and it takes forever on boot fixing it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 11, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aha2940 wrote on 2021-08-20, 04:47:

I experience this when the networking cable of my Win98 PC is unplugged. It happens because the loading of the OS seems to halt until the operation of the DHCP client fails, which can take more than a minute sometimes.

I used to have this problem back when my Win98 PC was connected to the network. I recall this was exactly why I set the OS to static IP.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 11 of 11, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

when drivers are removed entries aren't always removed from the registry. Also the registry does fragment. A registry repair from dos may help. But not from backup those should be removed from time to time and only used in system faliures.
There were early versions of registry repairs one was regclean.exe from microsoft. sysinternals supplied a tool to defrag registries.
Perhaps if we kept a registry backup from the first initial install of windows when all updates applied before adding drivers then that in itself can be used to revert to a smaller healthier registry after each hardware handling session. Sound fun?
(in relation to expansion boards)