VOGONS

First post, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

this afternoon I wanted to update the Bios of my SS7 rig. It was running 591pwiq5 bios. It's an old one with several limitations.
I wanted to flash with the last one from here that support HDD up to 128GB : http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=646&menustate=0

When I flashed it, the screen stayed on this :

2021-08-22 18.52.26.jpg
Filename
2021-08-22 18.52.26.jpg
File size
116.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

as it was not progressing and the message to press F1 to Reset was displayed, I assumed the flash was done. I pressed F1 to reset.... Since then... nothing. Blank screen, no bip, no post, nothing 🙁

Is there a way to save the card, by using an EEPROM programmer ? I'm completely noob about this.

eeprom.PNG
Filename
eeprom.PNG
File size
713.02 KiB
Views
File license

Please help saving this mobo 🙁 Thanks

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 1 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah at this point you either need to program with an external programmer or do some hot swap on another mobo while it is working - tricky and dangerous IMHO
where are you located? maybe someone is close and can help!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I'm in Geneva, I doubt there will be someone with a programmer around me. I can buy one, but I need to know which one 🙁

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the TL866CS or TL866A are a great choice
nowdays I think there is the TL866-II new version or something, any will work just fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you reset the CMOS with JP2 according to the manual after flashing ? Could be a bad eeprom and it should have erased and then written the sections. The picture shows white blocks which usually means it was successfully written.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 13, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a P2 Mainboard or P3 with such IC ?

you can flash by Hotswap with Uniflash Programm.

Bootup your P2/p3 Mainboard, remove BIOS Chip very carefully (better lose it a bit before booting) you should avoid making short circuits 😉, put in your Shuttle Chip and Flash with Uniflash the desired File.

A BX440/LX440 should use similar Flash IC.

Uniflash:
https://drivers.dosreloaded.de/index.php?b=BI … ools%2FUniflash

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 6 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I was so upset I ordered a programmer tl866 II new version. It should arrive on wednesday. I'll try to avoid the hotswap method if possible. I have a p3 mobo with a Via chipset, looks like using the same kind of eeprom but not sure.

However, I'll probably need some help to use the programmer 😁

Personal GitHub

Reply 7 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I found the root cause of the crash... Instead of using a floppy to avoid any corruption issue, I prefered to use a HDD freshly 2GB partitioned / formatted, booted with a fresh ms-dos floppy and started the flash from the HDD...
This morning I connected the HDD back to my main computer to copy the "old" flash to my computer, and noticed that If I can copy the OLD.BIN file, windows says the updated bios file 591PS025.BIN can't be copied/read due to corruption...

Just waiting to receive the tl866 now. Any advice when using this app ?

Personal GitHub

Reply 8 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2021-08-23, 08:57:

[...]
Just waiting to receive the tl866 now. Any advice when using this app ?

very easy to use

b1SrTL9.png

1. press this button and enter W29EE010 (or whatever the chip you want to program is - for your 591P it is W29EE010) - notice on the small window the placement of chip in socket, this appears if you press the "information button"
2. load the BIN file 591PS025.BIN and load it, just press OK and don't change any options on the next window
3. press the "program" button
4. wait a little and it's done

Reply 10 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

Quick update... It's alive ! 😍
I received the tl866 II plus today.
I started to "read" it and saved the file for further investigation 😉

Then I've flashed the eeprom with last Bios version. It's been done very quickly.
And now the computer working fine again 🎉🤗

keropi wrote:

you deserve a beer dude, thank you so much for the advice.

Personal GitHub

Reply 11 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good Job ! You will find having a TL866 will be very useful once in a while or a lot 😀
Can you post the "bad file" zipped ? We can hex edit and compare and maybe get an idea what happened when you wrote it to your hard drive (or maybe not ;p)

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 13, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NyLan wrote on 2021-08-25, 22:30:
Hi guys, […]
Show full quote

Hi guys,

Quick update... It's alive ! 😍
I received the tl866 II plus today.
I started to "read" it and saved the file for further investigation 😉

Then I've flashed the eeprom with last Bios version. It's been done very quickly.
And now the computer working fine again 🎉🤗

keropi wrote:

you deserve a beer dude, thank you so much for the advice.

Nice work! I think there will be a TL866 in my life sooner or later too.

Reply 13 of 13, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-08-25, 22:52:

Good Job ! You will find having a TL866 will be very useful once in a while or a lot 😀
Can you post the "bad file" zipped ? We can hex edit and compare and maybe get an idea what happened when you wrote it to your hard drive (or maybe not ;p)

Hi,

Here it is 😀

I tried to have a look between what was read from the eeprom and what was supposed to be on it. Actually not that much difference but what seems to be a "big hole" between lines 1c000 and 1dfb0

Read W29EE011.BIN : The file read by TL866 before relfashing it with Bios
OLD.BIN : The file saved by awdflash during the 1st flash attempt
591PS025.BIN : The file that was supposed to be flashed

Attachments

• Filename
    Bios files.zip
    File size
    325.75 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File license

Personal GitHub