VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting an error 167 (No processor bios update aka no microcode) after upgrading to a P3 1Ghz (D stepping -- 068A). The system is apparently on the latest bios -- when I analyze the files with CTMC I find include the microcode for 068A dated 2/11/2000 with checksum 80FC9E3B0. When I try to flash the bios it tells me that it can't proceed because it doesn't have CPU bios data or some such.

I am able to flash the bios if I uncheck the option to update the microcode. The version of the microcode for 0686 is newer -- from 5/5/2000 -- and the processor that was in the board was also 0686 (866mhz). I'm considering buying a C stepping 1ghz P3 to try -- but I'm reluctant since the one I already have SHOULD be supported. Anyone have any experience getting this thing to actually flash the microcode? Interestingly, the microcode isn't in the main bios file -- IBM seems to distribute it as stand-alone files, so if for some reason I need a *newer* 068A microcode than 2/11/2000 it looks like it is drag-and-drop to actually install it.

I'm really scratching my head on this one so I'm hoping someone has some idea what to do.

- E

Reply 1 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will not help but ran into similar situation with a P4 board and it's latest BIOS included a microcode for a specific CPU I had but it still would not work proper.
Curious why you think microcode 686 is newer than 68A.
Also is possible that the newer BIOS actually dropped some CPU support. There are some topics here on Intel boards where they did remove some cpu support for a few models but added support for other CPU's.....
Just not enough room in the BIOS for all the microcodes....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah the Ace should be high in this instance. 😀 Well actually not all that high A counts for 10 decimal in hex.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry I meant that the date of revision of the microcode 0686 is newer 5/2000 than the one for 068A 2/2000. I’ve ordered the C step processor just to see. It was only $15 shipped.

Way cheaper than the 286 -> cx486slc board I just bought for waaaaay too much money. I hope it will fit in my compaq portable II or I wasted a lot of cash! At least the Pentium III works… just without the microcode.

Reply 4 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2021-08-25, 00:25:

Also is possible that the newer BIOS actually dropped some CPU support. There are some topics here on Intel boards where they did remove some cpu support for a few models but added support for other CPU's.....

I did try bios 32 (the one that introduced the 068A processors) and it didn’t work either.

Reply 5 of 15, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-08-25, 00:42:

I did try bios 32 (the one that introduced the 068A processors) and it didn’t work either.

There's nothing in the BIOS history regarding microcode removals - v16A added 0686, v32A added 068A, v33A added 0683 & v35A added 0686 - and updates being cumulative, v35A should still support the lot. How were you running the BIOS updates - from (DOS) diskette, from the CD ISO or from the OS. I see a similar issues to yours online for a model 6578 which was fixed by running the diskette rather than the OS version (they were upgrading from a 733/256/133 SL3XY to a 1GHz/256/133 SL52R)

Reply 6 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-08-25, 01:41:

There's nothing in the BIOS history regarding microcode removals - v16A added 0686, v32A added 068A, v33A added 0683 & v35A added 0686 - and updates being cumulative, v35A should still support the lot. How were you running the BIOS updates - from (DOS) diskette, from the CD ISO or from the OS. I see a similar issues to yours online for a model 6578 which was fixed by running the diskette rather than the OS version (they were upgrading from a 733/256/133 SL3XY to a 1GHz/256/133 SL52R)

I was doing it from within windows. I’ll give it a go from diskette tonight and report back.

Reply 7 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BIOS flash from floppy fixed it!

Thanks x1000!

Reply 9 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peg06@wp.pl wrote on 2022-05-01, 22:58:

Hi, where did you get new bios for it ?
I've got Netvista 6059 PCG but don't know where to find newer bios for it.
Thank you

Per this:

v33A added 0683 & v35A added 0686 - and updates being cumulative, v35A should still support the lot. How were you running the BIOS updates - from (DOS) diskette, from the CD ISO or from the OS. I see a similar issues to yours online for a model 6578 which was fixed by running the diskette rather than the OS version (they were upgrading from a 733/256/133 SL3XY to a 1GHz/256/133 SL52R)

You need to go here: http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista/
Find PIJT35A.exe and create the floppy, follow the pijt35a.txt exactly !! That is the last BIOS update for NetVista(R) model 6059-xxx,
Note once you flash to BIOS past T31A it becomes very hard to go back......

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 11 of 15, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you read the 36 and 37 .TXT ? Those do not add any extra CPU support but do support 6059. And from what aspiringnobody said above he either used the floppy version of 32 or 35 with success (hard to tell which ;p )
It might work but trust PC Hoarders opinion on trying 35a. He has good search and computer knowledge and since that was the latest to include cpu updates. If aspiringnobody was online he could tell which it was..
Ohh and if you are running like 30a now you cannot easily go back and risk bricking the board if 36 or 37 do not work. If me would try 34 or 35 (the last with improved CPU support) but only IF I was planning to upgrade the CPU.
Maybe someone else has tried 36 or 37..

Reply 12 of 15, by peg06@wp.pl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I've read the txt and it says it is for 6059. The previous updates are exactly the same for all the versions. 36 and 37 has only couple of fixes, no cpu code updates. Will check what bios I've got and might try that 37.....

Reply 13 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ended up putting a Tualatin in it after what was posted above. The default bios will update the microcode if done from the floppy. If you look at the floppy it creates you will see all the supported microcode updates included with that bios -- and you can delete ones you don't need and add in support as needed. The microcode and the bios are treated as two separate operations.

I'm headed to bed now but I think I've got a flash floppy image on my usb stick with the latest bios + the tualatin microcode that should work for coppermine and newer. I'll get it posted tomorrow.

-AN

Reply 14 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-05-06, 03:56:

I ended up putting a Tualatin in it after what was posted above. The default bios will update the microcode if done from the floppy. If you look at the floppy it creates you will see all the supported microcode updates included with that bios -- and you can delete ones you don't need and add in support as needed. The microcode and the bios are treated as two separate operations.

I'm headed to bed now but I think I've got a flash floppy image on my usb stick with the latest bios + the tualatin microcode that should work for coppermine and newer. I'll get it posted tomorrow.

-AN

This img file has the microcode added for 06B1 Tualatins -- as well as the 068A needed for coppermine. If you have a 06B4 Tualatin this won't work for you -- you'll need to download the bios from a later IBM netvista, create the floppy or otherwise extract the microcode file, and delete one of the ones you don't need from the root directory of this floppy to make room for the 06B4 microcode. Then, when flashing the bios the microcode will be included automatically.

- AN

Attachments

• Filename
    NETVISTA_BIOS.zip
    File size
    1.12 MiB
    Downloads
    25 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 15, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-05-06, 23:00:
This img file has the microcode added for 06B1 Tualatins -- as well as the 068A needed for coppermine. If you have a 06B4 Tuala […]
Show full quote
aspiringnobody wrote on 2022-05-06, 03:56:

-AN

This img file has the microcode added for 06B1 Tualatins -- as well as the 068A needed for coppermine. If you have a 06B4 Tualatin this won't work for you -- you'll need to download the bios from a later IBM netvista, create the floppy or otherwise extract the microcode file, and delete one of the ones you don't need from the root directory of this floppy to make room for the 06B4 microcode. Then, when flashing the bios the microcode will be included automatically.

EDIT: This mobo needs the little adapter that is sold on ebay to solder to the bottom of a tualatin to make it work on an older board. With the patch I've uploaded there won't be any errors on boot using this method. If you're using coppermine then none of this is necessary -- you just need to flash the bios with the image included below, after putting the coppermine in the PC.

- AN