VOGONS

First post, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a Toshiba Tecra 510CDT for pretty cheap but most of these things had the hard drive caddy tossed before sale, presumably in the name of data security, and mine is no exception. Those of you that have tried to find one of these caddys, with its unusual connector bridging the standard 44 pin IDE to the laptop, will know that they are about as rare as hen's teeth.

Everywhere I looked, people described this connector as 'proprietary' and unobtainable, with one person even doing the unenviable job of individually soldering dozens of tiny wires to make the connection. However, after a bit of patient digging, I have found that these connectors are not obsolete or unobtainable at all - they are in fact still in production by 3M today as their "Pak 50" series.

The part I picked up was P50LE-050P1-R1-DA, which isn't perfectly suited for the job because an extended section of plastic on the left and right get in the way but after dremelling the sides down, it mates perfectly. I then whipped up a very basic autorouted pcb to translate it to a standard 44 pin IDE header, which I'm currently waiting to receive from the fab so I will update with more details if/when I manage to get that working. The pin out is in the service manual, so it was pretty straightforward and should work fine.

I hope this helps a few other people to get these things up and running again.

Reply 2 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey this happened to me too! I got a Tecra 500CDT and it had no hard drive pack installed, I'm borrowing a Tecra 750's hard drive pack to fit a hard drive in it.

Well done working out what the modern equivalent of the connector was, most of these connectors I just expect are gone now. If you share the design I'm keen to try that out on my tecra 500 😀

If there's a PCB designed, the connector shape makes me think that a cheaper alternative might be to have the adapter PCB just go in the slot directly. Then it could adapt out to something like a CF-IDE - where the 44 pin connector could just be soldered onto some pads on the PCB.

Reply 3 of 11, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got the PCBs back from the fab but unfortunately I overestimated the amount of space available in the laptop so I've had to squash everything together and order another prototype. Will share gerbers if I get it working.

Reply 4 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah that's unfortunate, was it too tall or too wide?
It would probably be tricky route them all on a 2 layer board of that size?

Well, I wish you luck with the next try, I'm interested to see how it goes together and in trying out one with my Tecra 500CDT when you get it working 😀

Reply 5 of 11, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a little bit too tall, even after trying to rescue the board by filing it down. I think the revised version will work, although it will probably be a bit fiddly to solder without melting the plastic on the connector. If I knew what I was doing it might make more sense to make it a printed flex cable like the original but I'm far enough outside my comfort zone as it is.

Reply 6 of 11, by SanguineBrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There were some long postage delays in receiving the second version of the board, but I have it now and it seems to work just fine. I currently have a CF card installed in my Tecra 510CDT using one of those dirt-cheap adapters, and it boots into DOS 6.22 with no problems. A 2.5 inch drive will also fit in the bay with the adapter, but it requires a bit of careful contortion.

I have attached the gerber files for anyone who wants to try this but please keep in mind that I am not an electrical engineer and don't necessarily know what I'm doing. All I did was import the two connectors into EAGLE, match the pinout in the service manual with a standard 44 pin IDE pinout and then ground pin 6 of the PAK-50 connector (which is HDD detect) and autoroute it. There is a tiny dot on the silkscreen of both of the imported connector footprints denoting pin 1, and I added a couple of labels so you can at least see which side of the pcb is which.

This is the part I used for the laptop side, which only fits after dremelling a bit of the plastic off the sides. They do make one that fits without modification, but I couldn't find it for purchase in hobby-level quantities. For the drive side, I used this. The drive ends up sitting upside-down in the tray (or right-way-up when the laptop is in use) because this is the way the laptop's connector is oriented.

When soldering, use a small tip and take care not to short one of the vias to neigbouring pads. Unfortunately, the autorouter was not able to completely eliminate the need for vias due to lack of space. I would also recommend trimming down the pins on the back of the IDE connector and insulating it with electrical tape, because it sits right next to a metal part of the HDD bay (at least in mine it does).

Attachments

• Filename
    toshiba_hdd_adapter.zip
    File size
    13.47 KiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File comment
    Gerber files
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Woah I didn't spot that you'd posted this, thanks for the update 😁

I'll give this a try with my Toshiba 500CDT - I'll probably use it with a compact flash adapter & card so that placement isn't a problem.
Also, I've been trying to find the connectors used on some of these old Toshiba, sony, IBM laptops etc and well done finding the specific part that fits, it's tough.

Reply 8 of 11, by urbanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been looking for a solution for the same model laptop.

Say I wanted to make this, how do I use the gerber files to order the adapter?

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-02-16, 18:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd order boards from a PCB manufacturer like PCBway, JLCPCB or another like that. They're usually not cheap in the UK/US etc, but the Chinese PCB makers are quite cheap.

Then you'd need to order the parts in SanguineBrah's post and solder it all together.

It might be nice if an adapter like this existed, then you could just desolder the CF connector from a cheap CF>44pin-IDE adapter and plug it straight in: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133435
Hmm, this and the T4900CT's elusive hard drive connector. At this rate we should start a repository / shop for these HDD adapters.

Reply 10 of 11, by urbanus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-02-12, 20:26:
You'd order boards from a PCB manufacturer like PCBway, JLCPCB or another like that. They're usually not cheap in the UK/US etc, […]
Show full quote

You'd order boards from a PCB manufacturer like PCBway, JLCPCB or another like that. They're usually not cheap in the UK/US etc, but the Chinese PCB makers are quite cheap.

Then you'd need to order the parts in SanguineBrah's post and solder it all together.

It might be nice if an adapter like this existed, then you could just desolder the CF connector from a cheap CF>44pin-IDE adapter and plug it straight in: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=133435
Hmm, this and the T4900CT's elusive hard drive connector. At this rate we should start a repository / shop for these HDD adapters.

Its the how to order the parts based on the files provided i haven't figured out yet 😉