VOGONS

First post, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have a working IBM NETVISTA M41 (6792-2HG) machine from 2001. Found it in a very sorry state, made it nice again. Trouble is it has a German BIOS. Would someone out there have an English version for it? I've been at it for two days now, tried Wayback Machine, so far no luck at all. I only found a manual. IBM pages and FTP are no help either. There's no way to switch the language in the BIOS itself.

I'm making it into a W98SE machine. Found all drivers thanks to RMC upload. The BIOS is a cosmetic thing but I would still like to change it. Current version is from 2002.

Thanks to anyone who has any info on the subject.

Last edited by Edman on 2021-08-29, 01:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Edman wrote on 2021-08-28, 22:08:

Hi, I have a working IBM NETVISTA M41 (6792-2HG) machine from 2001. Found it in a very sorry state, made it nice again. Trouble is it has a German BIOS. Would someone out there have an English version for it? I've been at it for two days now, tried Wayback Machine, so far no luck at all. I only found a manual. IBM pages and FTP are no help either. There's no way to switch the language in the BIOS itself.

I'm making it into a W98SE machine. Found all drivers thanks to RMC upload. The BIOS is a cosmetic thing but I would still like to change it. Current version is from 2002.

Thanks to anyone who has any info on the subject.

This looks like the latest...

Notes - http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista_bios/20jt46a.txt

BIOS (DOS floppy version) - http://ps-2.kev009.com/pccbbs/netvista_bios/20jt46a.exe

Reply 2 of 4, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. Been there without luck. My PC's giving me a hell to download that file. Firefox won't open the page at all. Malwarebytes telling me there's a Trojan. Turning it off meakes page not accessible. Edge complains while downloading and the resulting file can't be used no matter what kind of exception I put on it. I thought it was just some kind of scam. Since you've been there without trouble, I'll try another PC then. Thanks again!

Reply 3 of 4, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Edman wrote on 2021-08-28, 23:23:

Thank you. Been there without luck. My PC's giving me a hell to download that file. Firefox won't open the page at all. Malwarebytes telling me there's a Trojan. Turning it off meakes page not accessible. Edge complains while downloading and the resulting file can't be used no matter what kind of exception I put on it. I thought it was just some kind of scam. Since you've been there without trouble, I'll try another PC then. Thanks again!

Strange, I'm using Firefox and I had no access problems or security flags (Malwarebytes & Security Essentials) against the file when downloaded from there.

Here's a zipped copy of the same file downloaded directly from IBM - https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/critical-up … -type-6204-6214

Filename
20jt46a.zip
File size
673.72 KiB
Downloads
36 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 4, by Edman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi and thanks big time. I've tried again from a "less protected" PC and prevailed. And - I am now running an English BIOS on my machine. Finally. Big success. Thanks again!

Just for the info, I followed to this IBM location yesterday from the Wim's BIOS page where the file required a download of an utility I did not like. A closer look at the file names however gave me a lead to the IBM page. I was then discouraged by the IBM's own description telling me that it was only for two different models (6204, 6214). So I did not continue. Stupid me.

Never mind that. Let me thank you again! I'm happy as one can be!