VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm having trouble getting the built in IDE controller on my HP Vectra XM2 (486) working with my CF-Card to IDE adapter, so I'm going to have to use an IDE interface card. The only one I have is way too new (Ultra ATA PCI) so it is configuring my CD-Rom drive in DMA-2 mode -- and none of the dos CD drivers I have will detect it (are they PIO only?) Does anyone have a working DOS CD-Rom driver for use with DMA mode drives? There aren't any jumpers on the PCI card to configure the drive to use PIO.

The BIOS only seems to support drives less than 1gb -- I thought about using the XT-IDE Universal BIOS but that seems to have other problems once you get into a PC running windows. I could get a ISA interface but I already have the PCI one so I'd prefer to use it if I can get it to work.

The bios on this thing is truly horrendous. I wish there was a hacked bios available for it!

Last edited by aspiringnobody on 2021-08-31, 01:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What PCI controller card are you using? Is it a RAID card or just a simple IDE card with no onboard BIOS?

What CD-ROM drive is it?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, in DOS, drives automatically use a PIO mode. (unless it is quite a modern board with build in UDMA bios)

You don't really need to configure that.

The reason why the DOS drivers can't find it is because it is probably looking for a IDE controller at the standard IDE ports and Interrupts and the PCI card won't be compatible with that (generally).

You should put the CD-ROM drive on the onboard controller if possible, so DOS ATAPI drivers can find it.

XT-IDE is a good option, but won't let you use the advanced DMA modes on late 486 or pentium hardware. But if your motherboard configures drives for PIO mode 4, then you still get decent performance.

Reply 4 of 7, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sbide.sys v2.0 is supposed to support DMA modes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 7, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:26:
Hmmm, in DOS, drives automatically use a PIO mode. (unless it is quite a modern board with build in UDMA bios) […]
Show full quote

Hmmm, in DOS, drives automatically use a PIO mode. (unless it is quite a modern board with build in UDMA bios)

You don't really need to configure that.

The reason why the DOS drivers can't find it is because it is probably looking for a IDE controller at the standard IDE ports and Interrupts and the PCI card won't be compatible with that (generally).

You should put the CD-ROM drive on the onboard controller if possible, so DOS ATAPI drivers can find it.

XT-IDE is a good option, but won't let you use the advanced DMA modes on late 486 or pentium hardware. But if your motherboard configures drives for PIO mode 4, then you still get decent performance.

I tried this, but it seems to be an either-or proposition. I can't get the onboard controller to enable if there the PCI card is installed. I thought XT-IDE UB doesn't work with the windows protected mode driver? Windows doesn't see the drive because the bios doesn't advertise it? Something like that?

jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:19:

Did you already try XCDROM.SYS from FreeDOS? It might not be so much that it doesn't do PIO, but that it runs only in PCI native mode and doesn't listen on the usual ports (1F0/170)

I'll try FreeDOS when I get home. I didn't think to try that.

Yeah that makes sense, now that you say it like that. Looks like I might need to get an ISA native card. It sucks because the onboard controller is an OPTi VESA Local Bus chip -- the BIOS is just trash and can't deal with big drives. I could use an overlay, I suppose...

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:20:

What PCI controller card are you using? Is it a RAID card or just a simple IDE card with no onboard BIOS?

What CD-ROM drive is it?

It's a simple IDE card but does have a Promise BIOS onboard, but there isn't any key combo at boot time to configure the card. It just autodetects whatever is plugged into it. The CD drive is a 24X HP-branded unit manufactured by Hitatchi (CDR-8330)

Reply 6 of 7, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:31:

I tried this, but it seems to be an either-or proposition. I can't get the onboard controller to enable if there the PCI card is installed. I thought XT-IDE UB doesn't work with the windows protected mode driver? Windows doesn't see the drive because the bios doesn't advertise it? Something like that?

You need to configure a drive type in the BIOS (the maximum size the BIOS detects is fine) ... XT-IDE will take over actual real management, and windows will notice the drive exists properly and it works fine.

I have multiple windows systems running XT-IDE.

Reply 7 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aspiringnobody wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:31:
jakethompson1 wrote on 2021-08-31, 01:19:

Did you already try XCDROM.SYS from FreeDOS? It might not be so much that it doesn't do PIO, but that it runs only in PCI native mode and doesn't listen on the usual ports (1F0/170)

I'll try FreeDOS when I get home. I didn't think to try that.

Yeah that makes sense, now that you say it like that. Looks like I might need to get an ISA native card. It sucks because the onboard controller is an OPTi VESA Local Bus chip -- the BIOS is just trash and can't deal with big drives. I could use an overlay, I suppose...

You don't need to switch to FreeDOS; just try the XCDROM.SYS driver from:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fr … om/xcdrom22.zip