VOGONS

First post, by m0rd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok so im having trouble with ems on this system. When i use the onboard video i get a emm386 cant use frame memory error on boot, but Qemm seems ok with onboard video. When i add a vga card qemm tells me that emm has put the frame buffer in conventional memory. I have tried setting 386emm in the configs.sys but it still not working??? the system has 4mb ram. i tried without any card installed but still same. Do ibm ps2 have wierd ram setup??? never had this with me other 386 and 486 systems.

Reply 3 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems you are using a Model 30/286 PS/2 computer. This computer, with no extension cards installed should have the whole range from C000-DFFF free, because the VGA BIOS in part of the 128K mainboard ROM between E000 and FFFF. With a VGA card installed, the on-card BIOS takes C000-C7FFF, but you should still have 96K continous unused upper memory which is enough for a page frame.

Can you post a photo of the memory map, as shown by either checkit, or MSD or Quarterdeck's Manifest (MFT)? MFT shows the memory map in the "1st MB" category.