VOGONS

First post, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was any of you able to make compact flash work on an Intel SE440BX2?

A while back I bought a compact flash adapter from eBay (you can find it by searching for the product name CF-ide40) and tried several CF cards on it with no good results so far.
Some cards don't get properly recognized while others allow me to start the windows 98 installation but it always results in an error around 38%.

I am a bit of a newbie with this so I was looking for someone with more experience who fiddled with compact flashes and old boards to help out. Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes of course, the motherboard is not to blame for this.

A few generic tips since you're saying you haven't done it again:
-Make sure the capacity is recognized by the bios. For example make sure you're not using a 64GB card while the BIOS cannot recognize hard disks larger than 32GB
-Always start by fdisk /mbr the card, then delete whatever partition it may already have and recreate it, then format
-If in doubt, get an old and small (1-4GB card) for trials. It will show if the problem is your card (too new) or something else

Reply 2 of 7, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:04:
A few generic tips since you're saying you haven't done it again: -Make sure the capacity is recognized by the bios. For exampl […]
Show full quote

A few generic tips since you're saying you haven't done it again:
-Make sure the capacity is recognized by the bios. For example make sure you're not using a 64GB card while the BIOS cannot recognize hard disks larger than 32GB
-Always start by fdisk /mbr the card, then delete whatever partition it may already have and recreate it, then format
-If in doubt, get an old and small (1-4GB card) for trials. It will show if the problem is your card (too new) or something else

Hi, yes I did read a tiny bit online before my purchase and I looked for small size compact flashes. I have 2 no-name chinese 4GB and an 8 GB Transcend card. They are all new, so I have not tried with used cards yet.
I have not done an fdisk prior to installation. I will try that and let you know. Thank you!

Reply 4 of 7, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-09-02, 11:04:

It all worked!!
What I think I was missing was the fdisk /mbr command that changed everything. Before, I was getting all kinds of errors during the installation process.

For the record:

Using windows 98 SE CD, i started the pc with CD-ROM support and from the directory D:\win98 I typed:
c:
fdisk /mbr

The flash drive size is 4GB. I run fdisk and deleted the primary DOS partition already inside the flash drive.
Then I created a new primary DOS partition in it and rebooted.

On reboot, I did start the PC on CD-ROM support as before and run the command:
format c:

I went back to fdisk and made sure C: was set as active, and this is how my partition list looks like this:
vvrLxXK

I started the Windows installation by typing:
D:\win98\setup

Reply 5 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentotark wrote on 2021-09-04, 17:25:

What I think I was missing was the fdisk /mbr command that changed everything. Before, I was getting all kinds of errors during the installation process.

Almost certain. Great news, enjoy it!

Reply 6 of 7, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentotark wrote on 2021-09-04, 17:25:

It all worked!!

Glad to hear that. Another small tip: add /u after format for the undocumented "unconditional" formatting, otherwise DOS/Win9x would start "saving UNFORMAT information" which is really unnecessary when preparing a blank HDD for clean installation.

Reply 7 of 7, by pentotark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dormcat wrote on 2021-09-05, 08:35:

Glad to hear that. Another small tip: add /u after format for the undocumented "unconditional" formatting, otherwise DOS/Win9x would start "saving UNFORMAT information" which is really unnecessary when preparing a blank HDD for clean installation.

Thank you for the advice, I will keep it in mind. I am so happy it is finally working!
Now I will load drivers by adding files to the compact flash, but my goal is to make the pc visible on the local network. Lets see if I can make it.