VOGONS

Reply 20 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-08, 16:43:

Success! I was poking around at it today, checking various traces and it started working.
I don't have any more photos of the repair but here are some shots of it working. Of note, the slocket works fine with and without a capacitor on C58. I don't think it's needed though, when comparing it to other identical slockets on eBay.

Congrats !
It seems plausible that the cap at C58 was for some reason only needed in the original japanese design from which your Matrix version was derived. Here a (poor) photo:

A-maxs370.jpg
Filename
A-maxs370.jpg
File size
51.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 34, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another thing I noticed is that the slockets on eBay which do not have the capacitor are also missing various other SMD capacitors inside the socket.

I don't know what other differences there are between revisions but it seems to be more than just the one capacitor.

Also of note is that the photo you provided also has a voltage regulator. I think this is needed for motherboards which can only regulate down to 1.8V like the early Pentium 2 boards.

Reply 22 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your version has indeed a lot more hardware inside the socket. Is it possible that they were just cutting costs in those other ones ? The ones with missing parts that I have seen photos of were produced between week 39 and 42 of 1999.
What year/week indication can you see on the rear left side of your slotket ?

And no, I don't think that these slotkets could do more than support communication between the cpu and the motherboard VRM.

Reply 23 of 34, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PARKE wrote on 2021-09-09, 11:31:

What year/week indication can you see on the rear left side of your slotket ?

Here you go.

IMG_20210909_100431_resize_62.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210909_100431_resize_62.jpg
File size
414.33 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 24 of 34, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-08, 16:43:

Have you got a slot - socket pinout to check continuity?

I do not. Can you link one?

Is it not possible to read this from the comparison of pinouts SECC and s.370?
SECC: http://ps-2.kev009.com/eprmhtml/eprma/f706.htm
s.370: https://images3.imgbox.com/07/61/cbBrTnUE_o.gif

Reply 25 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's one heck of an awesome repair job! Are you using a microscope or something to do these repairs because those repairs are also so tiny!
Your soldering skills must also be wayyy up there, everything is so straight.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 34, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think he cheats and gets lego minifigs to do it for him, it's only as fiddly as laying bricks to them. 😉

Kidding of course, it is very tidy work, well done.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 27 of 34, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-09-11, 12:46:

Are you using a microscope or something to do these repairs because those repairs are also so tiny!

Yes! Any of the very close up photos were taken by holding my camera up to the lens of my microscope. I could never do a repair job like this without one. I love how it allows me to fix things that would otherwise have been impossible without it.

Reply 28 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-09-08, 17:29:

Sorry, no, I was only asking as I thought it might be useful for troubleshooting and that someone else might already have done the work to make up a table. If you hadn't already fixed it (dirty pin contact?), and such a table doesn't exist, then I might have had a go at making one. I guess it'd be a fairly tedious job of just going through the slot and socket pinouts and matching them up.

I wonder if it is even possible to make a table that works for every slotket out there.
But in case you want to have a go at it - attached a spreadsheet with on page 1 PPGA and FCPGA pinouts and on page 2 pinouts for Slot 1.

Filename
FCPGA.xls
File size
88.5 KiB
Downloads
36 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 29 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-11, 13:57:
Tetrium wrote on 2021-09-11, 12:46:

Are you using a microscope or something to do these repairs because those repairs are also so tiny!

Yes! Any of the very close up photos were taken by holding my camera up to the lens of my microscope. I could never do a repair job like this without one. I love how it allows me to fix things that would otherwise have been impossible without it.

How do you have a steady hand for stuff like that? Because quite frankly your repair jobs are nothing short of amazing!
What microscope are you using for this?

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 34, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this AmScope microscope with a WD165 0.5X attachment lens.

I wanted one for years but couldn't afford it; they are very expensive! The model I wanted has a double arm boom which is more stable and prevents tilting. A model with a camera mount would have been ideal; it's very difficult to snap a photo from the eyepiece. I watched for local sales until this one popped up and I got it for a fraction of the price. It doesn't have all the features I would have liked but the microscope part is still there.

The zoom lens I mentioned is needed to be able to see as far down as a circuit board laying on a desk. And the LED attachment is absolutely necessary to see anything at all.

There is of course more skill involved in soldering and the quality of equipment matters but you will be amazed at how well you will still improve instantly just by being able to SEE what you're doing. What the microscope does it allow you to react to tiny movements that you just can't see with the naked eye even with perfect coordination. This lets allows you to perform very fine movements that would otherwise be imperceptible.

There are also faults that can be seen with a microscope but not with the naked eye such as a cracked solder join and loose pins on fine pitch flat packs.

61Kg1w2mPHL._SL1500_eb919d67-df63-4152-b8b8-e0ca66222765_2048x2048.jpg
Filename
File size
85.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
61lZqOinUjL._SL1200_48568f80-ec6e-4415-96f1-efa84b38d72d_2048x2048.jpg
Filename
File size
87.51 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2021-09-11, 16:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 32 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-11, 16:43:
I have this AmScope microscope with a WD165 0.5X attachment lens. […]
Show full quote

I have this AmScope microscope with a WD165 0.5X attachment lens.

I wanted one for years but couldn't afford it; they are very expensive! The model I wanted has a double arm boom which is more stable and prevents tilting. A model with a camera mount would have been ideal; it's very difficult to snap a photo from the eyepiece. I watched for local sales until this one popped up and I got it for a fraction of the price. It doesn't have all the features I would have liked but the microscope part is still there.

The zoom lens I mentioned is needed to be able to see as far down as a circuit board laying on a desk. And the LED attachment is absolutely necessary to see anything at all.

There is of course more skill involved in soldering and the quality of equipment matters but you will be amazed at how well you will still improve instantly just by being able to SEE what you're doing. What the microscope does it allow you to react to tiny movements that you just can't see with the naked eye even with perfect coordination. This lets allows you to perform very fine movements that would otherwise be imperceptible.

There are also faults that can be seen with a microscope but not with the naked eye such as a cracked solder join and loose pins on fine pitch flat packs.

That's really awesome!
And yes, I can imagine being able to see this clearly alone makes things a lot easier already 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 34, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2021-09-11, 14:33:
snufkin wrote on 2021-09-08, 17:29:

Sorry, no, I was only asking as I thought it might be useful for troubleshooting and that someone else might already have done the work to make up a table. If you hadn't already fixed it (dirty pin contact?), and such a table doesn't exist, then I might have had a go at making one. I guess it'd be a fairly tedious job of just going through the slot and socket pinouts and matching them up.

I wonder if it is even possible to make a table that works for every slotket out there.
But in case you want to have a go at it - attached a spreadsheet with on page 1 PPGA and FCPGA pinouts and on page 2 pinouts for Slot 1.FCPGA.xls

No idea if this is either correct or useful, but I used index and match to give pin numbers that match pin names between the FCPGA socket and the Slot 1. It gets a few things sort of wrong/not helpful by putting all of the power and gnd pins on the same pin (it only finds the first match). It shows N/A if it doesn't find a matching pin name, and I don't have enough knowledge to edit by hand any that should be a match. I did edit a couple of the slot pin names to get them to match (some trailing spaces, some '0' for 'o'). I've added a column to the socket sheet, and another to the slot sheet, showing the matching pin on the other, to help if either going from socket to slot or slot to socket. If that makes sense.

[edit: actually attaching it might help]

Attachments

• Filename
    FCPGA_Slot1.xls
    File size
    118.5 KiB
    Downloads
    36 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 34 of 34, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The question is if it is useful when you try to find continuity (which was the original suggestion that lead to this exercise) between s370 pins and slot 1 teeth.
There is the difference of 370 pins versus 242 teeth plus there is the possibility that slotket manufacterers used on occasion different routes between certain pins and certain teeth.
On certain slotkets it is so that not all the teeth are connected to anything and that would make testing for continuity rather useless as far as I understand it ?
Here an example of a Lucky Star S9 for which they did not even bother to add all the teeth.

LSturbo2jpgcrp.jpg
Filename
LSturbo2jpgcrp.jpg
File size
33.35 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

But maybe I am wrong, I'm no expert on this stuff.