VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used thermal tape for years as an easy way to adhere heatsinks for testing and other use. I've never ripped a CPU die off before.

During my testing, I couldn't figure out why I was getting inconsistent results. I knew this CPU worked. Or maybe it was just inconsistent? It's dead now for sure.

I used this processor a lot in testing because it was the highest clocked Coppermine Celeron at 66 Mhz FSB and was a good comparison for 100 and 133 Mhz Coppermine Pentium 3s.

If you look closely you can see that the corners of the die are chipped as a result of repeated heatsink application and removal. This is one of the reasons I like to use tape. It provides a soft cushion and helps to prevent this kind if damage.

IMG_20210908_180628.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210908_180628.jpg
File size
1.74 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20210908_180906.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210908_180906.jpg
File size
695.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2023-08-10, 06:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 43, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We need a "Vogons users posting their L's online" thread for this type of thing!

Sorry that happened. I guess there is only so much upward force you can apply to it before it will separate.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never seen this happen, or heard of this happening.
What kind of thermal tape were you using? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 43, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adhesive thermal tape? This has not enough w/mk and is not intended use especially on bare die applications.

Stick with thermal pastes like MX-4 or 5, AS5, NT-H1/H2 etc.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 43, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-09-08, 22:52:

Adhesive thermal tape? This has not enough w/mk and is not intended use especially on bare die applications.

It's not meant for sustained use. I use it for short power-on testing where the individual application of thermal paste is cumbersome and unnecessary.

Tetrium wrote on 2021-09-08, 22:50:

I've never seen this happen, or heard of this happening.
What kind of thermal tape were you using? 😜

Generic unbranded. It's pretty sticky though.

Reply 6 of 43, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow that is odd. Maybe the epoxy on the DIE cover was weak on that particular Celeron or could the core/die still have been warm when removed ? Most epoxies get weaker when hot.
Glad you warned us ! I still use cheap white thermal grease for testing, easy to clean off but have considered thermal tape.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ugh that stinks. I hate when what seems like a good workaround fails in the worst way possible.

Whats the next step? Graphite pad + socket 370 heatsink/fan?

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 8 of 43, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make a shim out of plastic sheet a hair thinner than die height, to protect the next tester.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 9 of 43, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 00:38:

Whats the next step? Graphite pad + socket 370 heatsink/fan?

Graphite pad is the next best thing I would think. The tape will still be fine for older Pentiums, "Mendocino" Celerons, and anything with a heat spreader.

Reply 10 of 43, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't like thermal pads, I prefer to use the good old thermal paste, but I've had this unpleasant surprise several times when removing the motherboard chipset heatsink (especially the G31 and G41 chipsets), I'll give you a golden tip: Before removing the heatsink, use a hair dryer, heat the heatsink well, this will make the heat pad glue sticky, similar to gum, this will prevent this kind of accident, and it will also make it easy to remove the heat pad.

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 11 of 43, by whaka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

honestly, for very temporary use, you can use any regular grease used for mechanics.
like lithium grease. they act, and have heat conduction properties. they do the job, and that's fine for those kind of cpu.
graphite grease should certainely be fine too.

now, i think you can still use it for making some nice microscope pictures of the die itself :p

Reply 12 of 43, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My microscope isn't THAT powerful! I also only have the one set of lenses. It's only binocular so whenever I want to share a photo I have to put my camera up to the eyepiece and it's very difficult to get a focused shot and in frame.

It's an AmScope; it doesn't have all the features I would like but it was for sale from a local seller and I was able to buy it for a very fair price. It allows me to do repairs that would otherwise be impossible without it. I love my microscope.

Reply 13 of 43, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

provides a soft cushion and helps to prevent this kind if damage.

If you want to avoid scuffing - apply strips of silicon pad around the crystal.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 14 of 43, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-09-08, 22:52:

Stick with thermal pastes like MX-4 or 5, AS5, NT-H1/H2 etc.

I can't tell you how many times I've ripped out a CPU from the socket while removing the heatsink because of MX-4 (But still good stuff).

Reply 15 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just use Arctic Silver 5.

I like to live dangerously, using conductive thermal pastes on bare die CPUs 😀

But I can get AS5 is big tubes relatively cheaply. One tube lasts years, is cheap, and is a good thermal paste if I decide to not pull it apart again!

Reply 16 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-09, 05:59:

I just use Arctic Silver 5.

I like to live dangerously, using conductive thermal pastes on bare die CPUs 😀

Arctic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive. Not in a way that is relevant to this application anyway.
I have had multiple Athlons with the whole top smeared with AS5, contacts and all. No issues. It's just a giant mess and annoying to handle.
On Pentium III CPUs the whole conductivity thing is a non-issue anyway because there are no exposed contacts on the top side. The top of the die is not electrically conductive either. You could theoretically use liquid metal on it and it wouldn't matter electrically. I don't know wether this could become a problem chemically though.

Reply 17 of 43, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use Noctua NT-H1 for important applications and this "mystery" paste I got from Aliexpress for less important jobs. It cools a Pentium D down to around 20-30C when paired with a Zalman heatsink and that's enough validation for me. I bought it because it was cheap and is good enough.

Cleanup with paste is a pain when you're doing a lot of component swapping. That's why thermal tape is so convenient. I won't be using it on any bare dies anymore now that I know how dangerous it can be.

I did some research and settled on IC Diamond Graphite Thermal Pad. I bought a couple of the 30x30 size which is enough to cover a Mendocino or Tualatin heat spreader. Hopefully they will be durable enough to last for a while. They are much more expensive than thermal tape but definitely cheaper than vintage computer parts.

IMG_20210909_035835_resize_6.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210909_035835_resize_6.jpg
File size
344.93 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210909_040029_resize_64.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210909_040029_resize_64.jpg
File size
135.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210909_035957_resize_95.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210909_035957_resize_95.jpg
File size
88.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20210909_040053_resize_25.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210909_040053_resize_25.jpg
File size
70.63 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 18 of 43, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-09-08, 22:19:

We need a "Vogons users posting their L's online" thread for this type of thing!

Sorry that happened. I guess there is only so much upward force you can apply to it before it will separate.

There was a thread on various ways people have managed to break things: What retro hardware you killed today or in the past :(. Killing spree stories+serial killers are welcome.Rest in pieces.

Reply 19 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some German hardware magazine did a test a bunch of years ago and it turns out tomato ketchup beat all the actual thermal pastes in their test in terms of heat conductivity.
They didn't recommend it for long term use though. 😄