VOGONS

Reply 22 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-09, 10:36:

I remember reading an article years ago that found toothpaste to be very effective as well in the short term.

Article still exists, was on dansdata.com

http://www.dansdata.com/goop.htm

Reply 23 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-09, 05:59:

I just use Arctic Silver 5.

I like to live dangerously, using conductive thermal pastes on bare die CPUs 😀

But I can get AS5 is big tubes relatively cheaply. One tube lasts years, is cheap, and is a good thermal paste if I decide to not pull it apart again!

Same, as a very, very thin application. A little goes a long way 😳

As far as these sites using clickbaity tests of ketchup or toothpaste... for short periods, i would rather run a heatsink without any grease at all than put food products in my computer

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 24 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 12:32:

As far as these sites using clickbaity tests of ketchup or toothpaste... for short periods, i would rather run a heatsink without any grease at all than put food products in my computer

I feel you're missing the comedic aspect of such experiments. 😉

Reply 25 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 12:42:
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 12:32:

I feel you're missing the comedic aspect of such experiments. 😉

😉 They should try with yogurt. Or coffee grinds. Maybe a nice thick slice of muenster.

Reply 28 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:14:
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 12:56:

😉 They should try with yogurt. Or coffee grinds. Maybe a nice thick slice of muenster.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?😄

🤣 i watched wayne's world recently for the first time in a long while and forgot they parodied that

they should really bring back those commercials 😜

Reply 29 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:39:

🤣 i watched wayne's world recently for the first time in a long while and forgot they parodied that

Wayne's world is actually where I got this from. 😁 I looked up the meaning of that scene at some point and found the commercial.

And yes, 80s/90 commercials were much better than today's. They were more comfortable doing weird stuff. 😁

Last edited by Doornkaat on 2021-09-09, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 06:42:

Arctic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive. Not in a way that is relevant to this application anyway.

Yeah, it is, to a degree at least.

A little while back, I bought an ATI 5850 since it was a great card when I had my original card. I decided because of it's age, I was going to repaste it. I did so but wasn't careful enough with the application of AS5 and ended up not working correctly because I had got it all over the top of the components on the ATI chip.

Pulling it apart a second time, giving it a really good clean, and then applying a tiny but sufficient enough for only the top of the chip fixed the issue.

I have bought some MX-4 instead for electrically sensitive applications to use in future. Will be using it soon to properly repaste a PS3 system (after removing the heat spreaders from the main chips)

Reply 31 of 43, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Superfine grinds might work well. Dry them out and mix with some oil to make a paste.

Might need to run some stress tests for an hour a week to kill off any bacteria/mold. Does this count as organic computing?

Reply 32 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:56:
Yeah, it is, to a degree at least. […]
Show full quote
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 06:42:

Arctic Silver 5 is not electrically conductive. Not in a way that is relevant to this application anyway.

Yeah, it is, to a degree at least.

A little while back, I bought an ATI 5850 since it was a great card when I had my original card. I decided because of it's age, I was going to repaste it. I did so but wasn't careful enough with the application of AS5 and ended up not working correctly because I had got it all over the top of the components on the ATI chip.

Pulling it apart a second time, giving it a really good clean, and then applying a tiny but sufficient enough for only the top of the chip fixed the issue.

I have bought some MX-4 instead for electrically sensitive applications to use in future. Will be using it soon to properly repaste a PS3 system (after removing the heat spreaders from the main chips)

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

http://arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Reply 33 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
snufkin wrote on 2021-09-09, 14:01:

Superfine grinds might work well. Dry them out and mix with some oil to make a paste.

Might need to run some stress tests for an hour a week to kill off any bacteria/mold. Does this count as organic computing?

Go green 😀

Reply 34 of 43, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 14:01:

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

http://arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

While you are technically correct, this still means you can't reliably use AS5 on devices with exposed components without extreme care.

Not that it matters a great deal, I can use AS5 for the majority of jobs, and it is otherwise a fantastic paste with extremely long service life (better than most other pastes I know) and good performance (not the best performance, but good enough 99 out of 100 times) Not infrequently, I pull apart parts I used AS5 on years later and the paste application is still perfectly servicable.

Reply 35 of 43, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-09, 14:10:

While you are technically correct, this still means you can't reliably use AS5 on devices with exposed components without extreme care.

Not to be a dick but I specifically stated:

The whole post was in regards to it being dangerous to use AS5 on bare die CPUs. You won't fry anything with it like you might with liquid metal. It does not seem to pose a threat to our retro CPUs.
But I can totally agree on using it precisely being a good idea. Not only for the mess it creates. 😁 My personal experience is it works best on small bare dies. It needs to be spread out very thinly on anything larger and anything with a heatspreader. I just don't like working with it even though I can agree on it staying fresh (not drying out) for long.

Also I think we can agree on the fact that technically correct is the best kind of correct. 😉

Reply 37 of 43, by hyoenmadan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2021-09-09, 08:07:

I use Noctua NT-H1 for important applications and this "mystery" paste I got from Aliexpress for less important jobs. It cools a Pentium D down to around 20-30C when paired with a Zalman heatsink and that's enough validation for me. I bought it because it was cheap and is good enough.

HY510 Thermal Compound... Isn't that the one which contains (according rumors) traces of Thorium? Someone there with a Geiger to check it? 😜
In any case, I've seen these "HY" marked bottles on Tesla and Harman assembly lines. Is used on car's computer Xilinx FPGA modules of expensive models (cheap ones use plastic MCUs and ARM chips which are fine with thermal pads 😁).

Heretic. Everyone knows nothing beats thermal qualities of Play-D'oh putty 😉.

Reply 38 of 43, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:56:
drosse1meyer wrote on 2021-09-09, 13:39:

Wayne's world is actually where I got this from. 😁 I looked up the meaning of that scene at some point and found the commercial.

And yes, 80s/90 commercials were much better than today's. They were more comfortable doing weird stuff. 😁

wayne's world, party time, excellent
i guess you know you're old when you know the original source material 😀

Reply 39 of 43, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You used to be able to buy metal spacers to use with socket A CPUs to protect the die. They are also good for Intel FCPGA processors. I managed to buy 4 for a low price recently, although only expect to need 1 for socket 370, 1 for socket A Athlon and one for XP, leaving a spare if I ever need it. Adhesive thermal tape has to be strong enough to withstand potentially a lot of sheer forces, so I will only ever use that on some old graphics cards, where the heatsink never needs removing.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.