VOGONS

First post, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I acquired an Intel serverboard sometime ago. I originally mounted it in a modernish case, a Rosewill Gungnir X. Then finding a more period appropriate semi server case, with a slide out tray, absolutely magnificent, I discovered the placement of the cpu's interfered with the drive bays. Actually one of the heatsinks was the culprit. Not an unc ommon problem with Intel Serverboards. So I need a solution with a real skinny hs/fan. I was gazing upon an old pci-e gpu, and it's aluminum heatsink and fan might be skinny enough. But I'm concerned if it would provide adequate cooling for a 1.33ghz Pentium III. The gpu is an MSI NX8400GS.

Reply 1 of 17, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wider heatsink and a look on ebay you should able to find some server specific heatsink for this type.

Tualatin CPU is more than 30W running at that speed.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 17, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you may be able to find a low profile fan that are used in like 3d printers or similar

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 3 of 17, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-09, 00:25:

I discovered the placement of the cpu's interfered with the drive bays.

Had this with my IBM 5170, where I put in a Tualatin board.
I just sawed off part of the excess drive bay metal.
Works fine, processor air flow is good.

Reply 5 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Tennmax Lasagna" was one favored by iOpener modders in the oughts, dunno how easy they are to find now. Think the coolers found in trashed laptop P4Ms are gonna be rated about 30W... the DRP versions of P4s might be as high as 88. The DRP Turions will be 35W.. There's an intel stock heatsink for the Conroe celeron 4x0 series that's real flat too, but you'll have to jig your own mounting.

Edit: you see some really shallow ones here too off 4th gen core etc https://www.anandtech.com/show/10500/stock-co … md-vs-evo-212/3 the celly one is about the same as those.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote on 2021-09-09, 00:53:
Had this with my IBM 5170, where I put in a Tualatin board. I just sawed off part of the excess drive bay metal. Works fine, pro […]
Show full quote
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-09, 00:25:

I discovered the placement of the cpu's interfered with the drive bays.

Had this with my IBM 5170, where I put in a Tualatin board.
I just sawed off part of the excess drive bay metal.
Works fine, processor air flow is good.

you mean a coprocessor for an isa slot?

I really want to avoid modding this case, it's likely very uncommon. Besides what''s the point of having a PIII system if you're not going to have a floppy and optical drive.

Reply 8 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the h/s should fit, but not both is my guess.

(took a 2nd look at the specs. total thickness is.79". I have roughly 1/2" to spare).

I was thinking of procuring a copper block of suitable dimensions and milling slots for piping. Running it out to a radiator. It's not altogether innapropriate period wise, people were liquid cooling celerons as early as 2000. Seems like a lot of trouble though.

maybe a skinny copper h/s with a couple of squirrly fans oddly mounted ...

Last edited by chris2021 on 2021-09-12, 01:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah your authentic ~98-01-ish watercooling setup is a homemade block, milled out, or just hacked out somehow, multiple drill holes and chisel maybe, run by a pond pump, to an automotive heater core with 120mm fans ziptied to it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 17, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No to water cooling.

Mill two block halves so when assembled with small screws clamps around round heat pipes and have place for CPU clip. Other end 2 more blocks with large heatsink attached and fan.

Heat pipes also can be bent using a tool if you can make one.

Heat pipes can be purchased anywhere including ebay in different length and diameters.

I'm looking into heat pipes for my video card to keep weight down and keep to a one slot solution.
Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 11 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

why no to water cooling?

The Intel datat sheet says 29.9 watts. Is copper even necessary? Chinese aluminum water blocks are dirt cheap. And being, as I understand it, heat pipes are filled with some sort of liquid anyway. So is it effective to utilize 2 cheap water blocks with copper pipes between them? A little awkward as aluminum and copper won't solder, not readily anyway. I actually own a small milling machine,I just rolled it into the living room minutes ago 🤣. But it's probably weeks away from being operational. But it's not like I have a deadline. Frikkin Intel boards. Always something bizzarre to deal with.

Reply 12 of 17, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-11, 02:24:

I really want to avoid modding this case, it's likely very uncommon. Besides what''s the point of having a PIII system if you're not going to have a floppy and optical drive.

It was just a little part from the left drive bay of the AT, which is only for HDD.
I think I posted a photo on the German classics computer forum, and people castigated me for that.

chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-12, 01:49:

the h/s should fit, but not both is my guess.

(took a 2nd look at the specs. total thickness is.79". I have roughly 1/2" to spare).

why not a notebook fan which blows out sideways into an unobstructed direction?
These are really thin.

Reply 13 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nowadays modding old cases is certainly verboten 🤣. What I had thought of doing was removing the drive cage or just the intrusive part, drilling out the rivets and sparing myself the shame and agony. But if I hold onto this I really want and need a floppy installed. And a dvd.

...and I'm looking at a quad slot 1 mobo on ebay. What a nut.

yeah a laptop cooler might do the trick. I actually have a dead Sony 1.6ghz P4. But really want to try and revive it.

Reply 14 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok have a dead Satellite in the closet. Celeron M 370, tdp 21 watts. No good? Or could I expect the cooler to ramp up as needed? New coolers are cheap enougj on ebay. Just tired of looking up stuff 🤣.

Reply 15 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

or there's this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353159448147?_trkpar … 0.c100930.m5375

rated for an 88 watt cpu. I'll probably go with that. Too tired to effect any initiative. I'll look again tomorrow.

Reply 16 of 17, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2021-09-12, 04:57:

ok have a dead Satellite in the closet. Celeron M 370, tdp 21 watts. No good? Or could I expect the cooler to ramp up as needed? New coolers are cheap enougj on ebay. Just tired of looking up stuff 🤣.

Possibly there were warmer CPU in the same model range that used the same sink, so will maybe do up to 35W. They are 5V blowers nornally, so if you need a bit more you can "7 volt" it by wiring it between 5V and 12V.

Reply 17 of 17, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a makeshift heatsink could be made using a copper plate with copper rods soldered to the plate. Again wondering if it's worth the trouble. All the material could be had fairly reasonably I think at a decent h/w store. 1 or 2 squirrel cage fans would provide the cooling. Of course it would be much less labor intensive to mill fins out of a taller block. If you're outfitted.

Or alternately coppper sheet metal could be soldered to the plate. I actually have a very corroded h/s like that, from a Netvista I think.